Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Endoscope for GERD  (Read 138 times)

Offline jmcewan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Endoscope for GERD
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
I have been having issues with GERD for almost a year now. I originally went on PPIs for it back in August and the RX said to take one 30mg

prevacid a day. Because I didnt like the idea of being dependent on a medication, I was taking it once every other day and of course got no relief

from that. Back in February I went to go see a GI about my issues and found there that I was actually suppose to be taking TWO 30mg of

prevacid a day. But my insurance was only covering it once a day. Long story short(ish) i have been taking the correct does since february but

was still having a some issues with heartburn which i brought up at my follow up on tuesday. My GI thinks that I should have no issues with the

amount of PPIs Im on and want to do an endoscope. I am terrified that they are going to find Barretts or signs of Dysplasia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparx

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Endoscope for GERD
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Don't worry!  I have Barrett's, and have a friend who has it, too.  I am on a PPI, and I get it checked every year or two, depending on my doctor's recommendation.  There are treatments if you end up having dysplasia... so there are things you can do if they find something.  In my case, it's well controlled, and in a region of the esophagus that rarely causes a problem, and I don't fit the profile of someone who is likely to have trouble from it. 

It's good to get it checked out, and the endoscope procedure is not bad. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Endoscope for GERD
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »
thanks, that is of some comfort. I just feel that age 29 is way too early to be worrying about this. does anyone know how long it takes for Barrett's to develop, or if there is an actual cure for GERD?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: