Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Trying to lose weight on Paxil (frustrated)  (Read 262 times)

Offline vanilla1969

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trying to lose weight on Paxil (frustrated)
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
I'm really frustrated this morning, I am on Paxil and have been working my a$$ off since March the 22nd trying to lose weight, I'm also on a diabetic med that has good reviews on helping assist with weight loss (Invokana) and the scale has only moved 9 pounds going back up 1 pound which really means 8 pounds. The way I have been working out the weight should be falling off, it's very frustrating to be working my a$$ off and it seems like nothing is happening. I have to have the Paxil because I've read where it is the best for anxiety. I just don't know what to do, my pdoc gave me phentermine for appetite control but I don't know if my primary doc would be happy with that and I don't know if it will start up my anxiety so I didn't get if filled yet. My pdoc did inform me that I can only take if for 3 months that is all they will allow. I just feel defeated, I'm so tired of this weight. Has anyone else had any success with weight loss on Paxil. I've come to far to turn around by starting a new med, especially not knowing if it will work for me like Paxil but I need to get this weight off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stevo1111

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trying to lose weight on Paxil (frustrated)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
I've managed to lose weight on clomipramine, which is probably almost as bad as Paxil for weight gain. I find that low intensity cardio doesn't do as much as it used to, ie not on antidepressants, but high intensity interval cardio works great when combined with long slow cardio base training.

I lost about 1-1.5lbs a week when trying to get down to a good running weight last fall through the combination of low carbs and high protein, 5hrs a week of low to moderate intensity cardio (slow running or time on the bike), 2 "speed" workouts with sprints, and then weights sometimes. I would also run a race (5k or 10k) every other weekend. I still never got down to my pre antidepressant weight, even with 3x more training and because of this my race times were slower. I hurt my foot and ended up gaining back 15lbs in 2 months while watching my intake closely and working out as much as possible around it (3-4hrs a week).

In my opinion, as long as you're not grossly obese, it is way more important to your health to be active and fit. Be proud of yourself for increasing the output and besting your old performances regardless of the scale. I've also shifted my goals from trying to run the fastest 5k to trying to finish an ultra (100 miles for example). Concentrating on the quantity will keep your weight down, no matter how much the antidepressants tank our metabolisms.

If you are only doing long slow cardio, try adding in weight sessions and "sprint session" on a stationary bike or running between telephone poles on your road. Also, rather than taking something like phentermine to quench your appetite, maybe add in some Wellbutrin to speed you up and motivate you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline vanilla1969

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
I'm really frustrated this morning, I am on Paxil and have been working my a$$ off since Februay the 22nd trying to lose weight, I'm also on a diabetic med that has good reviews on helping assist with weight loss (Invokana) and the scale has only moved 9 pounds going back up 1 pound which really means 8 pounds. The way I have been working out the weight should be falling off, it's very frustrating to be working my a$$ off and it seems like nothing is happening. I have to have the Paxil because I've read where it is the best for anxiety. I just don't know what to do, my pdoc gave me phentermine for appetite control but I don't know if my primary doc would be happy with that and I don't know if it will start up my anxiety so I didn't get if filled yet. My pdoc did inform me that I can only take if for 3 months that is all they will allow. I just feel defeated, I'm so tired of this weight. Has anyone else had any success with weight loss on Paxil. I've come to far to turn around by starting a new med, especially not knowing if it will work for me like Paxil but I need to get this weight off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vanilla1969

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
I meant February not March.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »
I have to have the Paxil because I've read where it is the best for anxiety.

No antidepressant is intrinsically better than any other, either generally or for a particular disorder, though one or two might be the best fit for an individual.

The way I have been working out the weight should be falling off

Are you perhaps building muscle? It weighs more than fat.

my pdoc gave me phentermine for appetite control but I don't know if my primary doc would be happy with that and I don't know if it will start up my anxiety

This is an iffy combination which needs to be monitored. It can increase anxiety and restlessness.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: