Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD & Me  (Read 148 times)

Offline Worried 24/7

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
GAD & Me
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
Hello everyone, I am new and seeking support for my GAD & Depression.
I will soon be 49 years old and feel like my condition is worsening. I recently found a new job and once it was time to go to work...I couldn't! I could not even leave my house. I have always avoided large crowds of people so chalked it up as social fear??? but have worked most of my life and have not really been this bad, until now. I went to my Dr. who put me back on Prozac 20mg a day and Ativan .5 mg, as needed. I have taken all sorts of different kinds of depression meds for the last 14 years. I was off of my Prozac for a year and was hoping to stay that way!

I am interested in other stories like mine!

Thanks for reading.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD & Me
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:15:32 PM »
Hi, I can empathize with you as my anxiety has progressively worsened over the past 7-8 years. I'm 43.  Last week I was prescribed Celexa which I had been on a few times in the past, I haven't started it yet though.  I can understand the stifling fear that stops you in your tracks, have felt that way so many times.  Most of the time I force myself to do things though, I just push through the anxiety, but that's not to say it isn't uncomfortable for me, because at times it is excruciatingly hard to do things that scare me. I feel as though I am not living my life to the fullest--that there is so much I could be doing that I just haven't the moxie to do.  I would say the worst part is the physical symptoms---I could really do without those, the physical symptoms just make things even more difficult.  I think I'm going through a lot of suffering when I could be taking meds to help me through it.  I see myself going back on Celexa soon.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worried 24/7

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »
Hi ....good luck with your Celexa :) keep me posted!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Possum-Pie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
Hello everyone, I am new and seeking support for my GAD & Depression.
I will soon be 49 years old and feel like my condition is worsening. I recently found a new job and once it was time to go to work...I couldn't! I could not even leave my house. I have always avoided large crowds of people so chalked it up as social fear??? but have worked most of my life and have not really been this bad, until now. I went to my Dr. who put me back on Prozac 20mg a day and Ativan .5 mg, as needed. I have taken all sorts of different kinds of depression meds for the last 14 years. I was off of my Prozac for a year and was hoping to stay that way!

I am interested in other stories like mine!

Thanks for reading.

I've never had any luck with antidepressants helping my GAD.  Most Modern antidepressants (like Prozac,Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor) are in a group called SSRI's and may even make anxiety worse.  Do your homework, don't let a Dr. put you on something that won't work for you.
My GAD comes and goes in waves. Years go by when things are "stable" in my life and then boom...my kitty gets sick, or my niece gets pregnant, or something else I can worry about and then the worry seems to balloon out to just general worry about nothing in particular. Benzo's like Ativan or Klonopin work wonders for me...but they are very addictive so I have to be careful only to use them in really bad times. Some doctors put people on them three times a day every day, and within a few months,  they stop working, but your body still needs it to not panic, so the doc raises the dose, and it is a vicious spiral. I found that Klonopin and Ativan works best when only taken 'as needed' so talk to your doctor about that also. 
I can easily get to the "can't leave the house" stage, but mostly it is worrying while I am at work that I "need" to get back home to check on my kitties or make sure that the furnace didn't malfunction, or something dumb like that.  It can be a real pain!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: