Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What to expect on a psychologist visit?  (Read 195 times)

Offline keira1993

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What to expect on a psychologist visit?
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
I'm going to see a psychologist for the first time soon and I'm wondering what to expect.

-How does a first visit really go?
-Do they ask the questions to determine what's going on with me?
-Or do I have to say everything?

I'm worried because I don't know if I'll be able to remember/think of everything to list. I know there are many conditions that could be associated with my symptoms but I wouldn't know what to say.

I've been researching and reading everything I can about my symptoms in preparation for this visit. I feel as if I may be bipolar 2 instead of just depression along with anxiety. A lot of things were familiar to me. But how will the psychologist know? Will they be able to determine this through their normal questions?

Anything would be helpful. I'm really worried about this visit.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What to expect on a psychologist visit?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »
Hi Keira...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made ten meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Regarding my mental health, I see both a psychiatrist and a psychologist.

I see a psychiatrist because they are medical doctors, and they are the experts in their field.  They can provide you with a diagnosis, prescribe medication if necessary, and also determine a treatment plan.  When I first saw my psychiatrist, and initial appointment lasting more than an hour, and she asked me a series of questions to determine my diagnosis and plan of treatment.  I currently see her every two months, and those appointments last 20 minutes.

The psychologist I see is for my actual therapy.  She was referred to me by my psychiatrist, and her specialty is treating anxiety problems.  Like my psychiatrist, my initial visit with my psychologist was to gather intake information, to determine/confirm a diagnosis, and then provide which avenue of treatment would best serve me.  She also asked me a series of question.  Right now I am learning cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

Enjoy your visit with you psychologist.  They are there to help you, and I always feel better after seeing mine.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, Keira.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
Keira, congrats on your first visit to a psychologist.  When I recently started seeing one, she gave me a lot of questionnaires to fill out
about my moods and issues.  So it wasn't like I just had an hour long monolog.  I hope that helps and that it is a good visit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline keira1993

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
Thanks everyone, it helps. I'm just super nervous about this visit. I don't really go out much so I made the appointment awhile in advance to ready myself. It's not for about 2 more weeks.

I have another questions if anyone could help.

Since it's my very first visit the only thing really mentioned over the phone was my anxiety as the reason for my wanting to go. But that's definitely not the only thing going on with me.

So my question is anxiety will be the only thing she focuses on? Or will she go through everything to figure out exactly what's going on with me? (rule out and etc)

I don't really like mentioning my other problems because they are embarrassing and I feel weird and weak for having them. I don't want to have to bring it up first. I'd be more willing to say something if she brought it up first. Is that generally how it goes?

Also, I've read that a lot of times there is a questionnaire or something like it. Is it likely that I will be given one too?
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »

I think it's good to be proactive in your session.  You can say upfront that anxiety is one issue of concern, but that you'd like to talk about these two others.

As for questionnaires, I have a bout 6 of them on my first time.  I came early to fill them out first.
Bookmark and Share

Offline keira1993

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:14:25 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I'm probably going to write out a list or something of what I want to say. I'm terrible at social situations.  :spineyes:

I'll be sure to come back and post after my appointment, which is on the 22nd.
Bookmark and Share

Offline keira1993

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
Well my appointment was supposed to be last Tuesday, but she ended up being sick and I had to reschedule. I'm kind of glad I got an extra week to prepare. I'm not as nervous as I was last Monday. My new appointment is tomorrow. I will post afterwards.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: