Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety - Usually brought on by substances  (Read 110 times)

Offline papillon5

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety - Usually brought on by substances
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
I have bouts of anxiety - usually brought on by alcohol and other substances. I am a survivor of sexual assault and was diagnosed with PTSD in 2006. I have had anxiety issues since - mostly related to being abandoned or that people will leave me (because my two best friends stopped talking to me after my sexual assault as he was a mutual friend). Now I get really anxious that if I say or do anything wrong, people will get really upset with me. I think I have some social anxiety as well as I get really uncomfortable around people that I don't know.

I was also removed from my dad's care - very abruptly - when I was 5 years old as the California court ordered my mother to have immediate, full custody of my sister and I - yet we hadn't seen her since we were 1 years old. Being abruptly moved - to another state, and another and father - was incredibly anxiety provoking and that's when I started to bite my nails.

In middle school I pulled my hair out.

Now I have anxiety - which usually means daily heightened anxiety and anxiety attacks that can be very brutal after substances and alcohol. 

I always get terrible guilt and go through a depressive state after my anxiety attacks. I hope to find solutions to my issue and heal from my trauma.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 163
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety - Usually brought on by substances
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find a home here amongst those who suffer like you suffer.  First, I want to say that I am grieved by your hurt.  You carry with you deep hurt, baggage like chains around your neck.  That deep hole...you fill with substances which are no longer a solution but part of the problem.  I will say this PTSD coupled with substance induced mood disorders find solution not in another bottle of pills...another script...a new lover...a new trinket...or a new hobby or distraction.  The solution is a spiritual one...healing that can only come from embracing love and faith.

I would welcome you to use the addiction forum on this site to talk specifically about your addictions and substances.  Starting there sounds like a really great idea.  It's impossible to heal from past hurt while substances are on board.  And while the thought of being free of drugs and alcohol may scare you...healing doesn't come without you letting them go.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline papillon5

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
Thank you for both for the reply - I will go check out more of this forum to find a great support space. I appreciate you both very much! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline treborkazels

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm new also - and I understand about the alcohol.  I used it as medication to kill the anxiety. Obviously everything got worse !!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: