Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New girl in town..:)  (Read 173 times)

Offline emiloo09

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New girl in town..:)
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
Hey everybody! Im Emily. Im a 21 year old college student in Florida. I decided to join because I thought it would be interesting and cool to be able to talk and relate to other people who understand and know where I am coming from and what I have gone through. I suffer from GAD/panic disorder with depression. I want to tell my story and I want to help others along the way. I was a cutter- no shame! Ive been to dark places but I have fought through those times and I am now on medications and on my way to recovery. I live with my boyfriend and my dog. My boyfriend does not suffer from any mental health issues nor has any experience dealing with people who do, besides me. It is sometimes hard to talk to him and for him to understand why I am feeling a certain way. So, here I am today ready to meet some amazing people.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: New girl in town..:)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:28:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline emiloo09

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »
Thank you :) ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline ileen327

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
Hi Emily, That is great news you are recovering! I pray I may regain some recovery. I have been very good until I hurt my knee 2 years ago and that started me on a downward spiral. I was feeling pretty good till last week but Dr told me I have anemia! So, have been being very bad , looking everything up! ( Don't do that!) I just have to take each day as it comes and try to not obsess! Take care and hope you are having a good day! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverCalm1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
Hey Emily :-), nice to meet you, I am also a newbie on the forums haha. But I absolutely without a doubt relate to you on the basis that there is no one in our personal lives that understands what we are going through, and that we do not have anyone to talk to. From what I have read this forum is full of amazing people that can relate, help, or just talk. :-) glad to have ya aboard.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:57:55 PM »
Hey Emiloo,

How is Psychology and Criminology going for you?

I often bounce around with what I REALLY want to do. I'm also attending college and I've went from Justice Studies to Pathology... now I really want to key in on Financing... I really like that type of math... but I hate regular math, weird right?

How is the medication working for you, and what type are you going on?

My boyfriend does not suffer from any mental health issues nor has any experience dealing with people who do, besides me. It is sometimes hard to talk to him and for him to understand why I am feeling a certain way.

Just the fact that he works hard to support what's going on in your life is better than him leaving you for it. Sounds like him and your dog are doing well to understand and do their best to understand, but it's not always easy as they are not wired the same way.... They don't view the picture the same way you do, and that is perfectly okay. We all have our different perceptions on things and if he doesn't have that hightened level of anxiety as you do, he's not going to understand what you're talking about. As if you're trying to show him a ghost.

That is among the biggest barriers that many anxious people struggle with is social interactions where others aren't understanding what's REALLY going on. My girlfriend didn't for the longest time... She thought I was making things up. But I really dumped it out, and connected all the dots... and until then, she understood me... She was there during my first psychiatrist visit, where I was diagnosed with a Social Anxiety. She's accepted that and has been there for me through thick and thin... but there are those days where I get a funny feeling and she just doesn't understand what I'm acting a certain way or what not.

It grows as you two are together.

Best wishes.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline emiloo09

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »
Hi Potatoes!  :action-smiley-065: Thank you for your reply. I enjoyed reading it!

My studies, well I am 100%  enjoying criminology and not so much psychology. That is entirely due to the fact that my school is so focused on research and the whole psychology department wants the psych majors to go into research which is something I do not want to dabble in. Haha. I want to do forensic psychology and get my PhD and work with criminals. They fascinate me....I dont know why. Lol. Anyways, you should pursue finance then! If that is something you could see yourself doing and enjoy it, then go for it! Worse comes to worse, you dont like it and switch to something else. We all dont have to have it together in our 20s! Life is just beginning  :happy0151:

I am on 5mg of Lexapro, and so far so good. It has worked well for me, but I have a feeling that I am going to need to up the dose a bit. I heard that 5mg isnt a therapeutic dose. But I definitely feel something and its a good something. It makes me sleepy though, but thats okay! What meds are you taking??

Yes, he has stuck by my through thick and thing. I am unbelievably lucky to have him. He is patient and loving. Even when he does not understand, he is still here and I am blessed. I am happy to hear that things with your gf are going well! That always helps! But yes, sometimes they wont understand our thought processes and that is ok. That is why we come here..to connect with others who do 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: