Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can't find a psychiatrist- need encouragement  (Read 115 times)

Offline colorlessideas

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can't find a psychiatrist- need encouragement
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »
I started seeing a psychiatrist a few months ago, and I knew it was not a good fit from the start. She was convinced that I had OCD, which does not fit my anxiety patterns. She prescribed Prozac, which gave me terrible, side effects even after it was supposedly "working." When it turned out my insurance company wouldn't pay for treatment for OCD, she refused to even consult with me about changing the diagnosis, she wanted me to pay $300 out of pocket just to speak to her at all. So, I gave that up.

Since then I have had no luck finding a doctor taking new patients that will accept my insurance. I've called at least 15 places over the course of 3 weeks, and still nothing. I'm not on any meds right now, and this struggle to find a doctor, in and of itself, is causing anxiety and increasing depression.  I've stopped wanting to talk to friends and family and I have nearly daily fights with my boyfriend because I just feel so irritable and lonely. I'm continuing to have all the digestive problems I get with my anxiety as well. I feel like I'm trapped in hole. 

I guess part of my problem is that I can't afford to pay out of pocket, and I'm not willing to just get prescriptions from my GP. I actually want a psychiatrist that will help me find the right combination of meds. I guess that is asking too much. I don't know. Really discouraged. I've never had success managing my anxiety through exercise, or self monitoring. I don't know what to do.  :(
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline kevin84

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can't find a psychiatrist- need encouragement
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »
I really hate our health care system, the coverage for mental health needs to be expanded greatly!

I am sorry you are going through this, I can understand what you went through with your psychiatrist because I too went through that when I initally started this fight. The psychiatrist literally sat there quiet for the whole hour, did not ask any probing questions or make any small talk and then feels like he can diagnose me and prescribe me meds...I wasn't going to take that. Since then I have seen a couple licensed professional counslers, and a social worker I believe and they were awesome!

I have moved since then and I feel as though, well know that I am slipping into a relapse of depression and I am scrambling to find someone to talk to.

I really hope you find the help you need fast, until then this place is a great place to let your feelings out without recieving backlash because I am the majority of people have or do feel the way you do, and can understand what your brain and body is putting you through.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Curiouslywondering

• Rec's: 1
  • We dance in the rain..I love that you're crazy too
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can't find a psychiatrist- need encouragement
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
Hi,
First let me say I completely understand what you're going through, I've had the hardest time getting a good psychiatrist, fortunately there are facilities put I place for people who cannot afford psychiatric help, there are community mental health centers that are designed to be appropriate care at minimal or no cost to you depending on your individual financial situation. Also there are hospitals where in the emergency room can give you info on organizations that can not only find you good care, but help with the costs as well. In your case you must be very resilient and get out there and do not be afraid to ask for help. You can do this you just have to do your research and branch out ..

Peace and blessings
Bookmark and Share
Live life way above the stars because you can't get much closer to God than where you are...

Tags: