Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fatigued cured by vitamins or placebo effect?  (Read 191 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Fatigued cured by vitamins or placebo effect?
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:06:58 AM »
Hi guys,

Ok, so bear with me on this one.

I've had fatigue starting in February, after months of horrible anxiety, panic attacks and despair. I had fatigue, brain fog, dizziness, weakness, sleepiness, felt like I couldn't focus well with my eyes. Better on some days, worse on some. In March I started having eye strain & tension headaches because I was squinting when concentrating and trying to stay awake.

I've seen an endocrinologist, ophthalmologist, psychiatrist - they all thought it's anxiety.

At the end of March, I tried taking a multivitamin pill* and 2h afterwards I immediately felt fine. Like I never had fatigue or brain fog or anything ever. I was just completely normal. In just 2h! I continued to take them for a week and although on some days I felt a tiny bit sleepy, the brain fog, weakness, fatigue were pretty much GONE.

Now I stopped taking the multivitamins and slowly I feel I'm getting fatigued again. I feel weaker and sleepier. I can't focus as well.

I am stumped. I mean, can taking 1 PILL take ALL MY SYMPTOMS away in just 2h? What vitamin does that? Or mineral?!

I thought maybe I had anemia but my pill has only 50% RDA iron and besides, it would take weeks for the body to make those red cells back, not 2h. Same with vitamin B12 deficiency anemia - am I right?

My boyfriend thinks it's all placebo but the effect was SO strong, so noticeable. I wasn't even thinking about having taken the pill and I just realized that I was feeling so awake and clear.

Do you have any idea which vitamin or mineral could've changed my state from fatigued, foggy and weak to JUST FINE in 2h?

Also, is it still possible that I have some cancer causing the fatigue if one pill cured my fatigue so fast?? Can it be still be a liver dysfunction? Because up until I started taking the vitamins, I thought some unidentified cancer* or maybe a liver dysfunction was causing my symptoms.

*My multivitamins contain: Vitamins A, B1, B2, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, B6, Folic Acid, B12, C, D, E, K1, Biotin, Copper, Iron, Selenium, Magnesium (15% RDA), Manganese, Iodine, Zinc, Chrome, Molibden.

**I had blood tests done in Nov 2013, urine analysis in Feb 2014, had cervical MRI done that also captured most of my brain in Nov 2013, had thyroid testing done in Feb 2014, abdominal ultrasounds in Nov 2013 & Feb 2014.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fatigued cured by vitamins or placebo effect?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:36:08 AM »
Dare I say that once it works for you then it is the right one for you. There is no wrong answers with anxiety. Find something that does the job and stick with it. Fatigue could have simply meant you were lacking in some vitamin or another. So it is possible. Your other symptoms could have been brought about by your fatigue. Find something that helps with the fatigue and it will make you feel great about yourself. Once that happens the other symptoms can and do lift. I wouldn't rule it out. You feel good now. So just go with the flow and try and keep yourself feeling that way.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
Well, yes the mind is VERY strong, so if the pill was placebo, it's certainly possible for the mind to think that the vitamin is providing benefits that it may not actually be providing.

B vitamins though, can have a very fast-acting effect on mood, though. A few years ago, I was put on some pretty high doses of several B vitamins, and WOWEE! did I feel energetic.

I agree with Cuchculan—for each person, relief is different. That said, I don't believe that a vitamin is the solution to your long-term anxiety problem. There may be ways to alleviate your fatigue, but if your fatigue stems from your stress and anxiety, the only way to truly get over is to holistically treat the anxiety and get your stress hormones back down to normal levels.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
You could have had a vitamin deficiency. I had a D problem a few months back due to being a shut in, and I wonder if I have a B one now. I've been wanting vitamins myself but I have no cash and my parents won't get me them.

Your vitamins will help you for now but you need to tone the stress down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:04:20 AM »
Thank you very much for your replies!

After feeling a bit tired on some days after stopping the vitamins, now the fatigue seems to be gone. It's been almost 5 days and no sign of it, so I take it it *might* have been psychological with a nice placebo response to vitamins... I hope that's what it was.

Well, if the fatigue will come back I'll know what to take :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
I agree with you that it could be anxiety and the placebo effect of the vitamins.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: