Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Do you ever get into this thought cycle?  (Read 226 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do you ever get into this thought cycle?
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »
When I start to worry about a health thing, I think to myself "Well, you've been sure you're dying before, and you were wrong, this is probably nothing."

But then I think, "What if I'm wrong?  What if this is the one time I'm wrong?"

And then it gets crazy.  "What if, by assuming it's nothing, that will somehow make it be SOMETHING, to teach me a lesson??"

Am I the only one who's that crazy?
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you ever get into this thought cycle?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:36:27 AM »
I think like that all the time!   Every single time an issue goes away and the next one comes I think, "Now THIS may be the REAL disease that will come get me!"  Even if it's the exact symptoms I had years ago and they went away, rationally I think, "You had this before, it was nothing"  But then I think, "But what if THIS time it IS something!"  You can't win.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:39:46 AM »
"What if, by assuming it's nothing, that will somehow make it be SOMETHING, to teach me a lesson??"

This is pretty standard for me. Not necessarily make it, but what if it turns out to be smth just because I haven't been afraid of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »
I don't know if I would know if I were really sick.  My mind is so powerful it can emulate any disease process you can think of...so with that in mind I try to assume it's anxiety.  It's not that I don't do my due diligence and get appropriate tests when warranted, but I have to approach symptoms as an extension of my anxiety because I have symptoms of something nearly often.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
Story of my life!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »
"What if, by assuming it's nothing, that will somehow make it be SOMETHING, to teach me a lesson??"

This is pretty standard for me. Not necessarily make it, but what if it turns out to be smth just because I haven't been afraid of it.

Yeah I think what you describe is more what I meant, but I couldn't figure out how to say it.  Like HA has some magic power to keep me from actually GETTING sick.  Which of course we all know isn't the case, and yet.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, though.  Well, not glad that other people have to deal with this, but glad I'm not uniquely crazy. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
i get like this too. sometimes when i start freaking out about an illness, it's almost a reassurance knowing that i have hypochondria and that i'm most likely completely wrong about this illness just like i was with the last ten thousand things i thought i had. but immediately after i'm relieved by that thought, THEN i get the thought of getting sick in spite of having health anxiety, or this being the ONE TIME i'm actually right about my worry, and it pitches my anxiety up even higher. it's almost as if i can use my hypochondria as a shield, ironic as that is, but of course the moment we're reassured by anything is when we get another anxious thought to take its place. super unpleasant. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline GypsyStef

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site!
I understand this feeling, I go through it daily, and every day seems like its something different!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Oh yea, I do that just about every day.  It's like I'm afraid to write it off out of fear of being jinxed or something.
Like when my grandma says "oh, things couldn't get any worse" and we all fuss at her and brace ourselves.  :laugh3:

But then I think wouldn't it be ironic if I just happened to have the one thing I'm worrying about WHEN I'm worrying about it?  That would be awfully coincidental.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: