Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Helping Yourself  (Read 300 times)

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Helping Yourself
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
I'm definitely guilty of seeking quick reassurance, but you're right, it's not helpful in the long run.  Most of getting better is about will power, and seeing that it works for others is a big help in finding your own will power.

I certainly didn't feel like doing any kind of yoga when I started; I was scared, I was sore, etc.  But I found the easiest one I could, with basic moves that involve lying down, and felt immediately better.  Not right away, but certainly the next morning.

Plus, I like to read threads on here and offer help where I can and engage, but some nights I just don't think it's wise for me to read threads that include a lot of symptoms, because that'll just fire up my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
I like to help where I can as well, but I also have to keep myself in mind, so I generally only come in when I'm doing well with my anxiety and am unlikely to get set off by anything that I read. It's sort of like an alcoholic going to a bar. They're surrounded by drinks, and on this board, we sometimes get surrounded by symptoms and diseases and panic, and that just generates more fear. Now, if the board was more centered toward healing and threads like this, that wouldn't be an issue, but it is what it is, so I generally need a break every other day or so.  :P
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 10:54:03 PM »
A sub-forum for this type of thread would be pretty useful, I think!  Even reading titles of threads has me closing the page some days.  Plus I feel pretty unhelpful because I haven't experienced most of the things posted about.  Give me a thread on headaches and I can go on all day, though!

I've started trying that positive self-talk thing you mentioned earlier.  Are there any tips you have for being successful with it?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: recovery self-help tips