Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Brain tumour, I'm worried sick?  (Read 280 times)

Offline kayleigh

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain tumour, I'm worried sick?
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »
For almost 3 years (with a year where I was ok in between) I have had constant headache at one side and a tingling foot at the opposite side. I had a CT scan 3 years ago when it first started which was 'normal' I also see a lot of floaters in my vision and recently I have noticed occasional blue flashes in my vision which lasts about a second and then goes away. The headaches aren't especially severe but they are always there and the tingling in my foot is annoying and worrying. The left side of my body feels weaker than my right. My doctor is baffled and I am going to a headache clinic. I had my eyes tested at the start of this year and she said that everything looks normal behind my eyes. I have recently started taking microgynon contraceptive pill last week (I switched from the implant) and I have been taking citalopram for almost 3 weeks.
Does this sound like a brain tumour? I am so scared.. and if not.. what the heck is it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain tumour, I'm worried sick?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
I don't think it's a brain tumor cause if you have had this for many years then I think you would have seen a tumor then. I'm not sure what it is,  but I think it's probably fixable. Let us know when you find out.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
Can't be brain tumor, doesn't make any sense.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »
Thanks km :) why doesn't it make any sense? X
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
Flashes and floaters have nothing to do with your brain first of all.
Secondly if you had a brain tumor that long, you wouldn't be sitting there posting on anxiety zone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
So do you think if it was a brain tumour that started 3 years ago I would be having really severe symptoms??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »
So do you think if it was a brain tumour that started 3 years ago I would be having really severe symptoms??

Of course!  They GROW and keep getting worse and worse!   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
Hello Kayleigh. Remember me?

I see you are still worrying about these headaches. The floaters are normal for a start. I have floaters. I remember being as young as 12 having floaters. They keep getting worse and worse. That's what they do. You learn to deal with them and you barely notice them anyway until you start thinking about them. Secondly, the blue flashes can definitely be linked to your anxiety. I was having flashes when I was worrying about headaches. They are common with people who suffer from anxiety. Do they appear at the corner of your eyes? Do you wonder if you saw something real or whether it was just your mind? Because this was common when I was having them.

Now, on to your brain tumour fear: if you do have a brain tumour, and if you have had it for 3 years, you would be having seizures by now. Not only that, but 3 years of cancer would almost definitely be clear not only to yourself, but with everyone who knows you - they would notice the changes. Brain tumours can effect your personality as well (depending on where it is) as well as your memory, cognitive ability etc.

You also said that you went a year without them. An headache caused by a brain tumour DOES NOT come and go. It progressively gets worse due to increasing intracranial pressure. The brain tumour itself doesn't cause pain - it is the pressure the brain tumour causes between the brain and skull. And as you can guess, the tumour would of had to grown significantly in order to increase the intracranial pressure although it is of course relative.

My bets are still that your symptoms, and also your problem, is with your anxiety and NOT a brain tumour.

Have you gone through any measures in order to overcome your anxiety? Or are you still worrying for the majority of your days? Because I am guessing that this worry is really exhausting for you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
Hello Kayleigh. Remember me?

I see you are still worrying about these headaches. The floaters are normal for a start. I have floaters. I remember being as young as 12 having floaters. They keep getting worse and worse. That's what they do. You learn to deal with them and you barely notice them anyway until you start thinking about them. Secondly, the blue flashes can definitely be linked to your anxiety. I was having flashes when I was worrying about headaches. They are common with people who suffer from anxiety. Do they appear at the corner of your eyes? Do you wonder if you saw something real or whether it was just your mind? Because this was common when I was having them.

Now, on to your brain tumour fear: if you do have a brain tumour, and if you have had it for 3 years, you would be having seizures by now. Not only that, but 3 years of cancer would almost definitely be clear not only to yourself, but with everyone who knows you - they would notice the changes. Brain tumours can effect your personality as well (depending on where it is) as well as your memory, cognitive ability etc.

You also said that you went a year without them. An headache caused by a brain tumour DOES NOT come and go. It progressively gets worse due to increasing intracranial pressure. The brain tumour itself doesn't cause pain - it is the pressure the brain tumour causes between the brain and skull. And as you can guess, the tumour would of had to grown significantly in order to increase the intracranial pressure although it is of course relative.

My bets are still that your symptoms, and also your problem, is with your anxiety and NOT a brain tumour.

Have you gone through any measures in order to overcome your anxiety? Or are you still worrying for the majority of your days? Because I am guessing that this worry is really exhausting for you?

Hey venosomar, thank you for your reply. Yes I sure do remember you :)
The blue flashes just occur really quickly I'm my field of vision, they also sometimes occur when I have my eyes shut. They do happen so quickly that I have in the past wondered if it was something in the room or in my mind. But cos they have occurred when I have had my eyes shut now I know it is me seeing them and they aren't something real.
I have read that not all brain tumours cause seizures, which is also worrying me as that was the only thing I was holding on to as to why I might not have one. But then I read that something like only 30% of tumours cause seizures. I know you say it would be obvious to everyone, my family and friends aren't worried or don't seem to be worried about my health rather than my mental health. But the doctors have done no tests for cancer or given me any other scans since my last one 3 years ago so maybe they haven't picked up on it as they haven't checked properly?
Yeah I did have a year with headaches but not to the extent I have them now, just occasionally from dec 2011-feb 2013 I would have headaches. And the tingling seemed to go altogether. But it has been constant now for 1 year and 2 months and getting worse rather than better?
It is really exhausting for me, I look shocking and I feel it all the time. I'm not enjoying life, can't concentrate at work and don't really like leaving house if I aren't at work. I started citalopram 3 weeks ago.
X x x
Bookmark and Share

Tags: