Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: freaking out over my parotid gland tumor, need to talk;)  (Read 305 times)

Offline mrs.boston82

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
freaking out over my parotid gland tumor, need to talk;)
« on: April 05, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
Hi everyone;) i sure wish i could get into my old account but i dont remember my password and i closed my other email account but im freaking out and need to talk.

In october of 2011 i noticed a small lump on the left side of my face in front of my ear, it didnt hurt or anything but you know how things are with health anxiety... i went to an ent and had a ct scan done, the results were a 9mm tumor in the parotid gland (bout the size of a pea). My doctor said i could have the gland removed and tested or watch and see. She claimed biopsy in that gland were not accurate so it needed to be removed in order to test. Since the facial nerve runs through the gland there is a chance the nerve could be damaged. So she told me to think about it and come back in two weeks. When i returned i told her we will watch it. She checked the area and said she could no longer feel it. She said maybe it wasnt a tumor after all and could have been a lumph node. So i lost my insurance fell on really hard times and since i had no symptoms i forgot all about it.

This morning i woke up, brushed my teeth and began to eat. Suddenly my left side of my face started to feel funny and it swoll up bigger then a golf ball n front of my ear and below my chin to the back of my ear. I freaked out and went to the er. The dr was in a hurry a bit said it was something to do with my parotid gland, use warm compress and suck on lemon candy. Came home and did as he said but omg when i put that candy in my mouth that whole area of my face swoll 15 times worse. I ate a few lemon drops despite the pain and did the compress. After an hour the swelling went down some though its still noticable and now its sore and hurts. My husband cooked dinner, i ate a few bites and bam swollen bad again. Its now hours later swelling went down like before but still noticable and still is sore.

I know i have to make an appt with the ent dr but right now im freaking out thinking the tumor was for sure a tumor and is cancer... im literally sick with worry and im currently 23 weeks pregnant and have two other kids... im haven crazy thoughts... help
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: freaking out over my parotid gland tumor, need to talk;)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »
I would get an appointment with an ent as soon as you can. Before getting overly concerned, remember that it has been three years since first finding out about this possible tumor. I would also call the hospital and ask more in depth what the doctor meant about the gland and demand a better explanation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrs.boston82

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »
Could it be a good thing that its been 3 years since they found it??? The ct scan said it was deff a tumor. They did one with and without contrast and it said there is a 9mm contrast enhancing tumor of the parotid gland. I did call the er a few hours ago and the nurse told me my chart said something was blocking my gland causing the saliva to back up and since they did no testing they dont know whats causing it, to just follow the instructions and make an appt with my dr.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:57:54 AM »
Cancer doesn't suddenly blow up in minutes.  That sounds utterly miserable, though, and I hope you feel better soon.  I would guess a salivary gland stone?  Maybe when you try to eat, the saliva flows but has nowhere to go, so the swelling worsens? 

I'm not a doctor, just a hypochondriac :P  So obviously don't take my idea as anything important, but if that's what it is, it's not serious, just really painful.  The fact that the doctor let you go right home says that whatever it is, it probably isn't serious. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 08:44:22 AM »
I would say it is a good thing that it has been three years. The thing about ct scans is they show something. Your doctor even said there is a possibility is was not even a tumor. Tumors don't just come and go. Without a biopsy there is no true way to say 100% it is a tumor. I know because this happened to me. Why did the er not do anything. I would have eaten something then to show them how bad it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrs.boston82

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
Lol ***** Brick i didnt have to eat anything to show them, i literally went right away was there in 10 mins because i have crazy allergies and have had anaphalxis twice once from pencillen and once from a bee sting.. i was thinking at first something had bit me but im glad i didnt use the epi pen. They had me in the back and the dr seen me within a minute, he looked in my ear, looked at my throat and pushed on the area a bunch, asked me if i had anything to eat when it started and then told me he was certain it was my gland. I told him about the ct scan i had and he said to follow up with whoever i saw for that. Told me to suck the lemons and use heat on it. Said he was gonna give me a steriod but when the nurse came with my papers she said he didnt give me them because im pregnant. I dont like haven x rays or ct scans but i wish they would have done one... i havent eaten since yesterday after noon and im starving, im trying not to be a nervous wreck but i cant help it. In a way i wish they would have did the biopsy so i would know either way... my mom has a tumor in the same gland and they did one on hers said it was benign. I wish i could just relax.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »
Honestly, I would not be worried about cancer but you need to eat. If your mom has one, maybe it is something hereditary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrs.boston82

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »
So i got an appt for wends;) they dont take my ins and either does ne other place so its gonna cost me 175 ouch!! It doeant include any testing... im depressed;(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: