Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Was there anyone for whom Vistaril was more effective than a benzodiazepine?  (Read 169 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've been taking 0.5 mg Ativan as needed probably 2-3 days per week this past month or so, and generally it provides me with some modest improvement. Typically if I'm experiencing a "fearful" type of anxiety.  I took Vistaril for a couple weeks back in October when I was tapering off zoloft, and it's hard to say but I feel maybe that the 50 mg vistaril just may have been a bit more effective for me. Strange I know. anyone else experience this? I'm going to discuss it with my psychiatrist at my appointment next week and see if maybe we can do a trial of that, I still have a few ativan left so perhaps I can compare them a little more directly.

On the other hand, my anxiety was at near-panic levels at that point so it could have been ANY reduction in anxiety was more noticeable in comparison to now. We'll see.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi Melody...

Generally speaking, the benzodiazepines are considered the stronger anti-anxiety medication, compared to Vistaril (Hydroxyzine Pamoate).  However, this can vary somewhat from person to person, depending on our body chemistry.

My psychiatrist does her best to steer clear of the benzos, so I have been prescribed Vistaril.  Personally, I have found it to be very effective.  The only drawback is that it takes hours for me to experience any relief once I have taken it.

It will be interesting to see which you think works best for you.  Let us know.

The very best to you, Melody!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline stevo1111

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I find that it works great, if I can stay awake. I need about 75mg at a time to feel relief, but at that point it knocks me out very quickly. It's great to have some on hand for the occasional sleepless night. It works a heck of a lot better than benedryl.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: