Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So, PCOS...  (Read 250 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So, PCOS...
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »
Anyonee here have it?

Ihave an appointment with an adolescent gynecologist to get a proper diagnosis.  I suspected it for a while but only in recent months have my doctors begun suspecting.  I'm not exactly happy about this visit, for more than the usual reason.

My grandma was diagnosed with ovarian cancer around age 59. I remember googling it at least one year beforehand, coming up with ovarian cancer, and her ignoring me. She had tumor (or was it a cyst?), had surgery, and did chemo for a few months. I've heard different things though, like they found out it wasn't a tumor but used chemo to prevent any cancer.. She's fine, that was 2 years ago, and that's all that matters.

Last spring, around May, I stopped having my period. At first I was elated as hell but recently that's turned to worry.. I've had spotting twice -  a little blood when I wiped - but no accompanying period. I remember my grandma spotted despite having stopped menstruating over 10 years ago. I've had cramping, like period cramps, but no period. Starting a month ago I had stinging pain in my cervical/pubic area but it's gone; probably anxiety. I'm having IBS - bloating, mild stomach issues, etc - and I remember my grandma being super bloated and gassy.

I doubt it's cancer though. I remember my grandma being unable to walk, getting out of breathe after walking a block, being drawn to tears in pain.. I'm not like that. I got a cervical ultrasound in Febuary and all they found was excesss gas. I read that having PCOS makes you more at risk for OC, and heart problems, but I'm young.

I'm still worried about this whole PCOS deal. I've never even been to an OBGYN and it's unnerving. PCOS doesn't seem too serious, besides fertility issues which is no problem because I want to adopt and I planned on getting a hysterectomy eventually. My mom probably had undiagnosed PCOS and she's healthy but this is still an annoyance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So, PCOS...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
PCOS is not that big of a deal.  The biggest thing you have to worry about is watching your sugar levels since it can result in higher blood sugars and make you pre-diabetic.

I have it, used fertility treatments to get pregnant, and my Dr is not worried at all about OC.  The first exam can be really scary but Drs know you're nervous and will walk you through it.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

Bookmark and Share

Online terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
blue, i am worried about OC  as well. mainly because i have not had a period in well over 6 months now, which scares me. i am only 31 years old. and have always had irregular periods. i once went over a year without one. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »
I just remembered I had a period in Febuary but none in March. That was odd..I'm reluctant to google anything but I think menstruating means I'm probably not cancerous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hachiko

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
I have pcos and I remember the doctor telling me that excessive bleeding like in between periods (and I am not talking about spotting) is way more of a symptoms for OC than not getting your periods. I hope this makes you feel better... Also I got pregnant on my second months of metformin :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
I miss my periods. That's a really awkward thing to say but it's abnormal to miss them every month for a year. At least when I have them I know my reproductive system is fine.

I occasionally worry I have OC. My grandma had it but she was over twice my age when she got it, and she's fine now. She had horrible leg pains, couldn't breathe when walking, and that all went away after surgery. It's bizarre how a little tumor all the way down there can cause so much trouble.. I don't have the degree of pain she did so I'm not too worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
I have PCOS! I was diagnosed at 16 after my period wouldn't start. I had to take birth control to get a cycle.

I'm 27 and i have more regular periods now after I put on some more weight and see an endocrinologist.

More than likely you just have some hormones out of balance which can we tweaked and hopefully your period will regulate.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: