Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heart issues  (Read 176 times)

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Heart issues
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:38:25 AM »
So I hoped after my brain tumour fears were gone that I wouldn't be back here as I spent quite a while fretting over every single headache sign and symptom that has now pretty much dissappeared, after being reassured with an MRI that I didn't have a tumour.

Now however I have heart worries! I work as a cardiology secretary so as you can imagine, taking my mind off this is pretty much impossible. It all started with palpitations. I have had them for a while an usually ignored them (before I become so anxious) Now I can't stop fixating on them. They occur at random times, I get them most mornings and I just feel an uneasiness. When I check my pulse it pauses and then starts again with a thud. This can last from 5 seconds to a minute and I have random episodes throughout the day.

Then, just over a month ago I started getting pain behind my sternum which I tried to ignore as best I could.. but you know what it's like! I kept touching it, which then made the area sore. I then kept getting a dead arm. Not necessarily with the 'chest pain' but randomally, at work and sitting at home on sofa. It felt quite painful and heavy. Having these three symptoms terrified me and I immediately thought 'heart'! I went to the GP and they reassured me with an ECG which was normal (I didn't have the palps at the time.. typical) and said it sounds anxiety related as I'm young and healthy. I had bloods.. all normal.

So it continues and I can't stop fixating on it. My chest pain varies from sharp pains on the left side, around breast, sometimes on the right side and more often like a stinging sensation in the centre of my chest. Yesterday at work I had a really painful arm and shoulder blade. I can't see what could be causing this and although the GP has tried to reassure me, I just can't understand what it is!

The palps really scare me and I just want them to stop as they seem to happen even when I don't think about them. My mum gets them too and was told it's just normal. I noticed also when I drink alcohol, my palps become really bad. Which is a shame as I don't want to not have a social life!

I just want to be content and get on with my life but this is taking over. My BT fears were around xmas and it ruined my xmas, now 4 months on I have something new and it's my birthday on Monday. This anxiety is sucking the life out of me :-(

Advice anyone?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrs.boston82

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart issues
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:41 PM »
Hi;) so sorry you are haven a hard time. Thats the thing with health anxiety, once you are burnt out on one problem you get turned onto another one.... my anxiety all started with my heart and it took me 3 years to move passed it and even now i go through spells. I do have arrythmias all caught on event monitors.. svts, pvcs, pacs and non sustained v tach. I even had an ep study and ablation done for the v tach yet i still get it off and on. Anxiety deff contributes to palpations of all kinds and the more you think of them the more they will happen. I get thousands of pvcs a day which with the pause you mention in your pulse thats more then likely what you have. My last holter showed 24,686 pvcs in 24 hours ( and yeah i feel them) all day but i tune them out and good news is im still here;) pvcs or pacs in a structally normal with the abcense if heart disease are benign. Everyone has them at some point.

They are premature beats. If they are pvcs they originate in the ventricle and if they are pacs in the atrium. The sinus node is what paces your heart beat but sometimes the cells in one of those areas fire off giving off an early beat which we dont even feel. When it happens the sinus node resets and fires and you feel that beat. Its more forceful because the chambers have a bit more time to fill up with blood as the sinus node resets so it pushes out all that blood with a bit more force. Trust in that your heart is an amazing organ and it knows just what to do.

I know its hard but try to relax;) good luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrs.boston82

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:13:53 AM »
Oh yeah you mentioned drinking causes them to be worse for you and i meant to say find triggers and try to stay away from them. Drinking makes them worse for me too and they say keep away from caffiene, alcohol, lack of sleep and stress. I also seem to get them worse a week before my cycle.

You can ask your dr for a holter monitor an maybe an echo to put your mind at ease and if those come back normal which they will maybe you will be better able to deal with them. When they start try to focus on something else. Anything to just take your mind off them and in time you will start to feel them less and less. If they are really affecting your life you can ask your dr for a low dose beta blocker to take when they are really bad... its helped a lot of people;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »
Thank you so much for replying.

I am a cardio secretary so I write about it day in day out but still don't understand it! I am sure there must be something causing the palps and not just purely anxiety as they're so regular and I get them even when i've just woken up, so it's not like I can be anxious then! How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 27 and I think it doesn't help that a friend of mine recently had a heart attack only aged 27 after running the Dublin martathon and passed away and another friend had an undiagnosed heart problem and died during labour aged 26. It just scares me so much and I don't want to just ignore it incase it's something more. I also don't want the GP to think i'm a hypochondriac (which I am!!)

I am seing my GP tomorrow and hoping to get a monitor and I have been on betablockers before when I first started feeling anxious as my BP was high but now that's normalised. I am still left with the palps though. I am finding more recently that I feel dizzy or off balance, do you experience that at all?

I am trying to avoid alcohol but it's not much fun, but i'd rather not drink though and know that i'm not going to have a massive attack of palps! I don't have caffeine anymore either as I want to do as much as I can to minimise them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dragon

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »
Besides anxiety it sounds like you have a phobia also. I have been dealing with the same thing for a very long time. Done many stress tests, legs etc always comes back normal. The only thing that helps me is to realize it is anxiety band it is not dangerous. Along with meds (nerve pills) and self talk I have made it better. Just know you are not the only one with this. Oh I have woke up in the morning, middle of the night etc band had the anxiety. I have a icloud (a scar) dead center of my chest which makes mine any more fun. The scar hurts at times band I forget that I have a scar there band 1st thing I think of is.... you guessed it.. Heart problem or worse. Hope you are doing better with your anxiety band heart phobia thing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: