Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Extremely nervous - question for topamax users??  (Read 89 times)

Offline annabee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Extremely nervous - question for topamax users??
« on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
I was recently prescribed Topamax for severe "migraines". I have not been officially diagnosed by a neurologist but my primary and the ER think that's what they are. I have daily flashers, severe head pains, dizziness, nausea, and when they get bad I lose my hearing. I have tried as needed meds and nothing works, they pain always comes back. I just finished a steroid pack to try and get rid of the most recent one. Of course being a hypochondriac, I think it's a brain tumor or brain bleeding but they won't do an MRI. I had an MRI about 4 years ago and a CT Scan last summer. ANYWAY I did what no hypochondriac should do, I googled side effects from Topamax. I read about two women that died, countless people who had severe increased anxiety, and numbness/tingling in fingers and toes (my primary warned me about that symptom). Is there anyone on here currently taking it? I am due to start my first dose tonight. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share
the moment you're ready to quit is usually the moment right before the miracle happens. don't give up.

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extremely nervous - question for topamax users??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:30 AM »
Well unfortunately all meds contain some risk and there will always be statistical outliers when it comes to the horror stories. What dose are you due to start? If it is 25mg, you can always be extra cautious and split in half for the first week--lots of topa users do this to ease start up side fx. Myself, i have never tried topa but i have tried Lamictal and Keppra at different time periods which are also anticonvulsants. Had to stop L because it kept increasing my anxiety. Keppra just didnt do much for my migraine symptoms although strangely enough, it helped my anxiety somewhat lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eva1227

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
I've been taking 100mg of Topamax once a day for several years now. I haven't had any side effects. You need to build up to your regular dosage on this drug. So if your doctor wants your regular dosage to be 100mg, you need to start at 25mg the first week and 50mg week two and 75mg and so on. You cannot start at 100mg or you will get side effects. I see a neurologist for my migraines and Topamax has been very helpful in reducing the occurrence.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline annabee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »
Thank-you for the responses! I guess I just need to accept the fact it's safe for me to take - otherwise my doctor would not of prescribed it. The thing I get most nervous about is that meds may cover up something serious, with all my symptoms I was surprised she didn't feel the need to do an MRI. I did have one 4 years ago, as I mentioned, but without contrast and my headaches weren't as frequent or odd feeling. I feel like there's massive amounts of pressure on one side of my head, sharp random pains, throbbing, dizziness, flashers, so on and so forth.
Bookmark and Share
the moment you're ready to quit is usually the moment right before the miracle happens. don't give up.

Tags: