Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Will this misery ever end? any help so much appreciated!  (Read 114 times)

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Will this misery ever end? any help so much appreciated!
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
For the past several weeks I have been going through a basically never ending health anxiety attack, certain I have terminal cancer or that I am destined to develop terminal cancer.  I've had a pain in both sides of my waist--but stronger on my right side.  Was certain I had liver cancer or something like that.  Doctor told me it was probably muscular and to lay off working out for a bit.  I did and it has gotten somewhat better, but whenever I run it's quite intense, not a problem I ever used to have.    Now I also have throat pain, back pain, in addition to the side pain, and I'm completely terrified I have some sort of cancer that has metastasized all over my body. 

I also read a study this morning that vegetarianism is linked to increase cancer rates.  I've been a vegetarian since I was 16 (I am 30) and just have this terror that this is just one more thing that shows I have or will get terminal cancer.  I cannot get out of this mindset and feel certain that I will not live out the year.  of course it isn't rational--but it's just how my mind is working right now. 

One thing that has triggered this episode, I think, is that a guy I grew up with is dying of cancer--he has only a couple days or weeks to live.   I went to visit him last weekend and while I am glad I did that, it did reignite my cancer fears.  I wish I could just get out of this and live and enjoy my life! 
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Roman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Will this misery ever end? any help so much appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:54:12 PM »
Jenin, I have been reading your posts and am truly sorry that you are going through this. I know first hand that this is no way to live. I have major health anxiety myself the constant fear of having cancer or some other desease has me terrified as well. I found also that googling symptoms is the worst thing possible . That being said are you loosing weight at a rapid pace, is the blood coming out of anywhere. I take it that you are an athlete and take care of yourself. The article on vegetarians being mor susceptible to cancer is in my opinion grossly inaccurate.your all over body pain abdomen, hips, throat may all very well be excercise induced as well as anxiety. Health anxiety can actually make you feel like your manifesting the symptoms you are afraid of. Have you had a CBC done, thyroid checked, are you seeing an ent for your throat.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
We tend to have health anxiety from personal encounters with our phobias....ie My uncle died of a heart attack at 40 so I fear a heart attack..... Your friend having cancer is what probably put that thought in your head.  Sometimes vegetarians are vitamin deficient (possibly iron).  You should see your DR again if the pain continues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »
Roman, thanks for replying so often to my posts.  I am not losing weight (at least, unless I am trying) and no blood or anything. It is just these random aches and pains.  I was at the doctor last Monday -- took me a while to get myself there as I was dreadfully afraid of finding something terribly wrong -- and she took my blood but still haven't received the results.  haven't had any other tests although I'm not sure if the blood test covers thyroid or any of the others.  I do wonder how much of these "physical" symptoms are due to stress.  When I was on vacation for a few days, I completely forgot about all of this.  I do exercise a lot (am not a professional athlete, but do workout a lot).  I also drink too much, in part because it helps relieve my stress thanks again for your help!

Rob783, thanks to you as well. 
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Tags: