Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Apparently I've had a heart attack! Oh my. Worried now. Anyone help?  (Read 363 times)

Offline ahrimoniac

• Rec's: 2
  • Brain like a sieve, face like a smacked bum
    • Poke This Member
 :(

First of all, all those people struggling with health anxiety, let me open with a thought - it does pass and it does get easier. It's been twelve months since my last bout and I know this one will pass too.

Background

I'm a fairly healthy, though overweight, young lad of 29. I've been dieting and exercising for a month or two and hitting the gym, and I was doing great, no problems with breathlessness. I was walking quickly on the treadmill when suddenly I couldn't get my breath. I stopped, went home, took a wee while to get my breath right but thought nothing more of it, though I haven't been back since. Since then, I've been getting very short of breath and heart has been racing lately when I've been walking even a little amount, which isn't great, but I thought I might have pulled a muscle and wasn't too worried. Plus, the guy opposite me at work had a stinking, coughing cold which he brought into work, so I thought it might have been that.

Went to docs this morning, blood pressure checked and all fine, oxygen level tickety boo (I presume that's what the thingy they put on the finger is for), but she referred me for a chest xray and ECG.

Now, I had my chest x-ray, and she couldn't tell me if it was clear (not allowed, has to go to doctor) but she did say there was nothing in there that requires urgent attention (which I took as an all-clear - see, health anxiety can be controlled). Went for my ECG. That's where it went badly wrong! Upon analysis, the nurse said I'd had a minor heart attack! I had one inverted T thing on my ECG. She then backtracked a bit to say that if it had been a heart attack, it would be mirrored elsewhere in my ECG. She also said it was nothing to worry about, but CHRIST,a heart attack! I'm going to be referred to a cardiologist for further tests.

My worry is, all I can think about is if I bend over, I'll have a heart attack, or any little twinge is a heart attack. My rational mind, which is still winning but it's becoming harder to listen to, says that I've pulled a muscle, or got a slight chest infection, hence the breathlessness. The spike on the ECG could have just been as a result of my recent tight-chestedness. Or, even if it was a heart attack, if there was a major concern, they'd have me whisked away to hospital.

But any thoughts welcome...!
Bookmark and Share
http://shakerattleanddroll.wordpress.com/ - my own personal blog about my journey with health anxiety. I'll laugh, I'll cry. Might even be a few cheap jibes. It's not all po-faced and woe is me, and I try to write positively about what is helping me. I would welcome any feedback!

Offline ahrimoniac

• Poke This Member
Re: Apparently I've had a heart attack! Oh my. Worried now. Anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
Oh one thing I'll also add: this time last year, I was concerned about MS, ALS, Parkinsons and a brain tumour. Now I laugh at those things...although my left leg is still gammy. But see: it can be beaten!
Bookmark and Share
http://shakerattleanddroll.wordpress.com/ - my own personal blog about my journey with health anxiety. I'll laugh, I'll cry. Might even be a few cheap jibes. It's not all po-faced and woe is me, and I try to write positively about what is helping me. I would welcome any feedback!

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
I hope all will be ok for you.
Sometimes our bodies just do gliches here and there.  Let's hope that is all it is.

Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »
I think you need to consider the source:

...I had my chest x-ray, and she couldn't tell me if it was clear (not allowed, has to go to doctor)

But yet on the other hand this nurse is suddenly handing out a heart attack diagnosis?  These two things don't add up.

(For the record I had 1 inverted T-wave about a year and a half ago and I'm fine!)
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »
A nurse CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be handing out a diagnosis like that.  In addition, you would need cardiac enzymes to confirm the diagnosis.  If it was an emergent situation, they would have put you in the hospital.

If the nurse truly told you that you had a heart attack, she needs to be reported!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »
Please go see a cardiologist, I'm sure he/she can put a lot of your fears to rest. I am not sure why the Nurse would be handing out a diagnosis when there are lots of things that can cause an inverted T-wave.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahrimoniac

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:27:09 AM »
Hallo all, thanks for the kind replies! To clarify, the nurse who took my ECG wasn't the same nurse who did my xray, it was another nurse at the surgery who described herself as a coronary care nurse. That's what made me anxious!
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »
A lot of hospitals now use computerised diagnostic machines the one here does. About half the time, the machine here concludes that I have at some point had a heart attack, though the location varies and sometimes it insists it's "recent" and at other times "old". The rest of the time, it shows that my heart is entirely healthy. The cardiologist has had a look at the machine's printouts and concluded that I have never had a heart attack. I was chatting with another doctor when I was actually connected to the machine, and it was stating that I had had a heart attack, and he said succinctly, "Ignore it that machine talks complete rubbish."
Bookmark and Share

Tags: