Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: One little set back....IBS? Flu?  (Read 132 times)

Offline irshgurl

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
One little set back....IBS? Flu?
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Hello everyone!  I haven't been here in a few months because I have been doing really well.  Actually, I still am doing pretty good but I had an incident that kind of threw me for a little loop and I was looking for some support.  Beware...bathroom conversation about to occur.   :P

Back story...I am usually a very healthy eater.  That being said I have been snacking an awful lot lately (long, cold, snowy winter..blah, blah, blah).  Nothing too bad but a good amount of chocolate and treats.  Haven't had weight gain or anything.  I always suffer from a lot of gas (like so much that my hubby says I sound like an old man! ew) and some bloating.  Every morning I use the bathroom (BM) and most often it is loose. 

On Saturday I ate breakfast and lunch out.  Then I ate an Asian noodle dish made with 4 different oils for dinner.  On Sunday I felt a little nausea but nothing to stop me from my day.   Ate breakfast out, no lunch, LOTS of chocolate covered pretzels, and leftover Chinese for dinner.  I went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night with what I can only describe as severe menstrual cramps, very low in the public region and in my back and legs. I went to the bathroom and had a BM.  It was hard but nothing terrible.  I went back to bed and the pain subsided.

Yesterday it happened again only much worse.  I had another BM with a lot of stool.  It was hard but not terrible (no bleeding) and there was mucus present but not a ton.  This lasted about 30 minutes but as soon as the BM's were done the severe pain ended.  I was sore and gassy for the rest of the evening.

This morning I woke up gassy and had a BM but with NO pain this time.  My abdomen where I was having the pain is sore today and I have been eating light...pretzels, banana, probiotic yogurt, and water.  No vomiting has occurred.  No fever...I was a little cold and has a sweat after the incident yesterday but I think that was from panic and pain.

I am an elementary school teacher and a stomach bug has been going around. Naturally I thought it was that.  However, when I looked up the symptoms everything brought me to IBS.  Even my mother thinks I just had a bad flare up.  Hubby thinks it's OK, too. 

Anyone experience a similar situation?  I am not really freaking out because the pain is getting better aside from the residual soreness.  Just trying to get a handle on this.
Bookmark and Share
And I just can't keep living this way
So starting today, I'm breaking out of this cage
I'm standing up, I'ma face my demons
I'm manning up, I'ma hold my ground
I've had enough, now I'm so fed up
Time to put my life back together right now! -Eminem "Not Afraid"

Offline Roman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: One little set back....IBS? Flu?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »
Hey irishgurl you are fine it's probably your anxiety getting the best of you. Anxiety causes excess stomach acid and it can make you feel really bad. I have ibs gerd as well don't worry about it too much. Also those kids in school will get ya sick as well. Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline skimbleshanks34

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »
I've been having issues with pain, nausea and constipation too. No idea what it is but of course I'm assuming a blockage or cancer..If you find anything that helps please keep me updated! :D
Bookmark and Share

Offline irshgurl

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
I ate a probiotic yogurt and kept my diet fairly light today and it seems to be helping.  I am still feeling pretty gassy but that might just be an after effect of the situation from yesterday. 

skimbleshanks34:  My mind instantly goes to those scary places, too.  I understand.  I have found that keeping the mind busy is a good idea.  I've been watching movies and funny things on YouTube while I rested today. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline skimbleshanks34

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »
Good ideas! I might to hang out with a friend today and keep my mind off of things. Hopefully I'll get some relief with a probiotic yogurt too. I wonder if it could be a food intolerance?
Bookmark and Share

Offline irshgurl

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »
I know for a fact that dairy bothers me.  As a matter of fact, I just recalled that yesterday (prior to the severe pain with BM) I had a bowl of cereal with milk.  Within  3 hours I was in agony.  I wonder if that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: