Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: PERSISTENT hand, wrist and finger pain - No explanation!  (Read 293 times)

Offline CorneliusRupertTravis

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
PERSISTENT hand, wrist and finger pain - No explanation!
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
I feel at my wit's end with this. For the past year or so I have been getting periods of cramping, shooting and aching pains in my hands, wrists and fingers. They seem to come on suddenly and it makes using my hands for things like typing and playing piano painful and difficult.

At first I assumed it was tendonitis or RSI. I have been to a doctor twice and they could not diagnose me with anything. I have had x-rays on my neck, back and shoulders and it has all come back fine. I have taken drastic steps to protect my hands and avoid the possibility of over-working them, but the pain still persists.  :fragend005:

I can only assume right now that this is some freakish symptom of anxiety, as the pains flare up when I have had an anxiety episode or any amount of stress put on me. The more I am aware of the pain the longer it seems to stay. I have tried massage and stretching, water therapy and supplements, but to no avail.  :(

Is there ANYBODY who suffers from this same problem? Like I said I am completely at my wit's end trying to figure it out and I would be enormously relieved to have any knowledge of this being some crazy psychosomatic symptom, which would make sense given the circumstances it flares up.

Thank you. Please if you read this and have any ideas do please share them. I am desperate for anything you can offer.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: PERSISTENT hand, wrist and finger pain - No explanation!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
It is both hands equally. I have tried using a wrist splint at nights when the pain was bad but it didn't seem to help.
The doctor squeezed my wrists in certain places but there was never a point where I went 'ouch', simply because

The pain moves around, sometimes it's in my palm, sometimes in my knuckles or fingers or the back of my hand or the base of my wrist.
It's worth noting i often get shoulder pain too, often at the same time. Might be a link.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aimee1875

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »
Every now and then I get shooting pains on the sides of my wrists,never know why but I just shrug it off. It's probably nothing as you've had it for the past year. I've had it for ages too!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Carpal Tunnel?    Or maybe tension in upper back and neck as it can radiate into any part of the arm.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
My first thought was carpal tunnel, or perhaps you have a pinched nerve somewhere affecting your hands.

ALSO, I had severe, I mean SEVERE anxiety last year that cause muscle tension/stiffness/soreness in my right arm and caused my hand to cramp up easily too.  It went on for SIX MONTHS, and I had every blood test known to man.  When I finally saw a rheumatologist (I 100% thought I had lupus or something), she looked at my enormous file of blood worked, examined me, and said, "I can't find anything wrong with you."  Lo and behold, the NEXT DAY my pain was gone.  Just like that.  And never came back.  So I can tell you that anxiety definitely CAN cause crazy unexpected physical symptoms.  Is that what's causing yours?  I don't know, but it's certainly a possibility.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
Daisy, About carpal tunnel, it isn't something I have ruled out totally. But my symptoms don't match up to a lot of CT symptoms. I don't get tingling, burning or numbness although last year I was getting electric shocks down my arm from my shoulder.
I know I cannot diagnose myself, but I just did some tests I found online where you hold your hands in certain positions and tap parts of your wrists and see if it hurts...

Nothing. I mean, there is no change from the normal. But nothing flared up, it makes mo flippin sense

Air Nomad, funny thing...a little while after I got the results of my X-Ray back last year, and they told me nothing was wrong, I walked out and told myself to just give up worrying about it. I had spent so many hours researching and getting worked up other it, and I told myself to give up. Give in. Stop fighting.

A couple of days later, the pain mysteriously vanished and didn't return for a good 5 months or so, when the next period of strong anxiety came round.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
About using computers and Repetitive Strain Injury...

It's definitely something I have seriously given a lot of thought to. I have an ergonomic setup for my desk, and searched hard for a chair that was a perfect height. I switch mice hands from time to time and I try to take a break every so often. I think it has helped my general health somewhat, but the problem still persists and it doesn't always flare up when I am sitting at a desk, so it may not be the primary cause.

According to one of my dance teachers (I don't do proper dance, more movement and body work) I have weak core muscles which can give me back pain.

I am fairly active and don't just sit at the computer for hours and hours (although I did use to when I was a child and in my teens, almost never had hand or arm pain though). Now and then I will stop and do some shoulder rolls or stretches. I'm not saying I am perfect and always remember to do this things diligently, but the intention is there. I am very conscious of RSI and take steps to avoid it. Some days I can use a computer fine with no pain, some days I press one key and my hands are in agony. You'd think if I had a definite injury from RSI there would be a pattern to the pain, but there usually isn't.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
Stress, in a nutshell stresses our whole nervous system to react erratic.
It is good that when you had some reassurance, the pain would leave.
Often in anxiety, that reassurance is temporary, and back in the corners of our mind the 'what if' thoughts are there.  And just a fleeting second thought of it can create that fight or flight response, the nervous system goes fast and whacky and the pain returns.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline Yoko Littner

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
I have bouts of persistent pain on my capitate bone. Happens on both wrists often. Painful to the point where contracting or extending my wrists becomes problematic.

No explanation. Perhaps anxiety is causing this?

The pain seems to be on my tendons or muscles. Not the bone itself. Nothing remedies it. It'll last for two months or so, then slowly go away. But its always there somewhat. (Doing push ups... Not suggested...)

My best guess, is.....anxiety....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »
Stress, in a nutshell stresses our whole nervous system to react erratic.
It is good that when you had some reassurance, the pain would leave.
Often in anxiety, that reassurance is temporary, and back in the corners of our mind the 'what if' thoughts are there.  And just a fleeting second thought of it can create that fight or flight response, the nervous system goes fast and whacky and the pain returns.

I agree it's probably stress. I used to get this persistent, random pain in my fingers and toes when I was anxious or stressed. I worried and thought I had bone cancer.
Bookmark and Share