Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: It HAS to be a heart problem, right? Or not...  (Read 283 times)

Offline janderson

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It HAS to be a heart problem, right? Or not...
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:30:52 AM »
Hi everyone! I've been reading this site for a while, but my problem is not getting any better, so why not join the community?
I am 32 years old, and substantially over weight. I am ready to lose the weight (again), but I have this setback precluding me from exercising, though I hope it's all in my head. 
My situation looks like this:
Over two months ago, on January 21, I woke up from sleep having what for all intents and purposes ended up being a panic attack - at least I hope that's what it was.
My heart was pounding, and I started sweating. I was scared to death, and was afraid I was having a heart attack. I live alone, but for some reason, I ended up calling my mom before I called an ambulance. She asked me my symptoms, and talked me down. When I initially called her, my pulse was 111, and my blood pressure was 171/109. After drinking some chamomile tea, and talking to her, my blood pressure was down to133/86, and my pulse was 81. We determined that I was doing better, and would call the cardiologist the next day.
I had not ever been to a cardiologist, but I made an appointment, and was able to get in the same day. He said my EKG was normal, and that I most likely did not have a heart attack. He scheduled a stress test, and an electrocardiogram for the next day. After testing he said my results were normal, and I should have a sleep study. The sleep study was also normal.
Since this happened, I have had the same weird thing happen at night (though maybe not quite as severe) a couple of times, and I'm completely scared that I'm going to have a heart attack. Sometimes I have some mild chest/arm pain, and what feels like shortness of breath. It has happened when I've been around my parents, and they both say that I'm not really short of breath, although it feels like it to me.
Lately, it feels like this is really controlling my life. I worry that I'm going to die, and just not be around. I find it hard to get excited for future events, because I hope I will still be alive. I often wake up after just falling asleep at night, and think I am having a heart attack. It only takes me a few minutes to realize that I'm not, but it's still super terrifying.  I went back to the cardiologist two weeks ago, and he told me that it really is not my heart, and I should see a therapist, and a GI doctor. When I am able to think rationally, and not having an episode, I can understand that a lot of my symptoms can be explained by various GI problems, and I try to do my best to focus on that. I'll be seeing a GI doctor soon.
I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had problems similar to this, and if I need a second opinion, or if I just need to accept the diagnosis, and work on trying to get through this.
I truly appreciate any feedback, it means a lot to me. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CNikki

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: It HAS to be a heart problem, right? Or not...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:29:47 AM »
I'm just as lost when it comes to heart related issues as I'm feeling what seems a little similar to what you're going through. At least on the heart/chest pain. This usually can occur before the arm pains and numbness and it can just be due to anxiety at the more severe ends itself. To put your mind at rest while you can I say a second opinion will definitely help. To me personally it does sound like the anxiety is at work. Unfortunately they occur within an extended amount of time while developing similar symptoms each time.

Nevertheless I still say get second opinions since some doctors are crappy and may have past up on certain things that can have a chance on changing your outcome. It's making me convinced that I may be a victim of this so take any chance you got. Plus it can put your mind to rest knowing you're getting the second opinion and that the results may come out the same.
Bookmark and Share
I'm too weak to live, I'm too weak to die.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:45:02 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. It sounds like anxiety to me. Anxiety can mimic real organic problems.
You are still young at 32 and still have the time to make lifestyle changes which will improve your future
health outlook.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline janderson

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »
Thanks for both opinions!
I am really hard pressed to believe that it's a heart problem. My true chest pains are very mild, and the "shortness of breath" is seemingly just a feeling, as whenever I'm around anyone else, they say things like "no, you're not short of breath!", yet it feels like it to me.
Ugh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline janderson

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:03:15 PM »
So just an update here:
I've been trying to get exercise in every day.
Today I walked just over a mile including a big hill.
I was huffing at the top, but nothing in the way of what I would call abnormal.
I had no chest pain at all.
The only thing that freaked me out was my heart pounding, but I'm assuming that could just be me getting back in shape...
I guess it's hard for me (when I can think rationally) to think that I have a heart problem since I have passed all of those tests, and also have no real chest pain, or shortness of breath when going up a big hill like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:56:15 AM »
You went to a cardiologist and he said your heart is fine. That's what the go to school for & study, the heart. So please please listen to him. Chalk it up to anxiety Bc that's what it seems like it is :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline janderson

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:45:57 AM »
You went to a cardiologist and he said your heart is fine. That's what the go to school for & study, the heart. So please please listen to him. Chalk it up to anxiety Bc that's what it seems like it is :)
You have no idea how comforting this is to read. It's been kind of a rough night tonight, so thank you so much!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 06:16:34 AM »
In your first post you said you are substantially overweight - I'm sure you know that you need to deal with that and by dealing with that you will ease the extra work your heart is doing which will help you to feel better and reduce your panic attacks.

Its not easy but you can do it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline janderson

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
In your first post you said you are substantially overweight - I'm sure you know that you need to deal with that and by dealing with that you will ease the extra work your heart is doing which will help you to feel better and reduce your panic attacks.

Its not easy but you can do it!
Oh I more than understand.
I've always been overweight, but not obese.
After college, I decided that was going to become a runner.
I lost about 100lbs, and was running as far as 20k races.
I was never fast, and I was sure I was going to die after it, but I did it!
Then out of nowhere, a back injury set me back (pun intended) in 2010.
Since then, I have made a couple half-hearted attempts to get back at it, but recently have been so freaked out with this "heart problem" that it's scaring me!
My diet has always been decent, I just eat too much.
I'm trying to get portion sizes under control, and I also gave up meat for Lent, so I may even continue the vegetarian lifestyle.
I bought a Garmin Vivofit wristband for motivation, and have been exceeding the "goal" number of steps each day for the last 4 days (it's a start).
I do notice that I'm pretty tired at night even after only walking like 1.5 miles (just during my "workout", not total walked) during the day.
I hope I'm just tired and feeling "off" because I'm out of shape, and that it will improve as my overall fitness does. I also have a bike, and plan to incorporate that in to my daily routine as the weather improves.
Thank you all for the support! You are great!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: