Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Severe fear of Schizophrenia  (Read 345 times)

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Severe fear of Schizophrenia
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
I have no relatives with it, but after reading about it I have a horrible fear of having it.  I have random intrusive thoughts and images when I close my eyes that I can't control.  They aren't even necessarily bad they're just there and I can them them.  I analyze every single thing that happens and question everything I hear.  I have times where I can't tell where some sou d's come from so I a tribute them to being schizophrenic.  My OLD is more of and Anxiety with obsessive tendencies.  But none the less obsessive.  I've also noticed that my memory has been bad lately and I have trouble concentrsting.  Is this common.
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Severe fear of Schizophrenia
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:57:17 PM »
Please reply people I'm so worried!
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:05:43 AM »
It sounds like anxiety, simply based on you saying that you began to worry about it. I mean skitzo is pretty rare to begin with. I also think that majority of the people that do get, do not diagnose themselves or even have a hunch of it in advance. So I don't think you hitting the lottery here haha, you sound pretty anxious though, try not to read about it. The more you read the more you worry. These things that you are worried about, it's not you that's worried, it's your brain on anxiety :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline StudentOfHope

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »
Hi,

I can completely relate to you, in every post that you've written so far.  In fact, my mind takes it even further and I have thoughts in the third person (please forgive me as this sounds NUTS) as if I have an imaginary friend.  I guess this is because ever since I took my first psychopathology course in undergrad, my mind latched onto the "positive" symptoms including hallucinations--- and so I have thoughts in my head like a "voice" even though I know it is my own mind making everything up.  AND, I've been seeing a professional who specializes in treatment of OCD and I obtain consistent reassurance that although I am not crazy now, there's no telling where the future may be.  ;)  He works in CBT treatment, so he does not give in to my checking.

Also I've had the optical illusions scare as well as checking every little noise around the house to make sure it was an actual noise and not just hearing things.  Of course, people experiencing the height of anxiety may have extra-sensitive sensory experiences and so every tiny peep or pin drop may sound like a noise or what not.

The best thing to do (believe it or not) is to tell yourself you never know, that maybe you'll be crazy in the next minute-- and you should enjoy your last moments of sanity.  This will initially increase the anxiety, then you will find you feel better as you have stopped looking for reassurance.

I hope this helps.  And if you have any questions or want any info I am happy to share my experience.

Best,
-A
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
I analyze every single thing that happens and question everything I hear.  I have times where I can't tell where some sou d's come from so I a tribute them to being schizophrenic.  My OLD is more of and Anxiety with obsessive tendencies.  But none the less obsessive. 
I can relate, been there done that years ago. As strange as it may sound, questioning and checking things does not help. Finding the source of an 'voice', for example, might be soothing for a minute or two but basically that's compulsive behavior and only feeds the anxiety. As StudentOfHope nicely put it, we have to learn to live in the moment. Life cannot be controlled 100%, not even close, but that's ok. We have to learn to live with uncertainties. Tough for people with anxiety, I know!
Are you in therapy for anxiety or take any meds, if you don't mind me asking?
Good luck  :action-smiley-065:!
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
schizophrenia usually involves not being about to think logically. your post doesnt show that you have illogical thinking. the fear of schizophrenia or psychosis is very very common in people with OCD. especially when intrusive thoughts are involved. i have gad and ocd and ive been through the same fears or worries that you are having now. i think it would be safe to say that 99% of people with anxiety disorders have or have had at one time a fear of losing control. OCD is often times misdiagnosed as GAD because many people including professionals dont fully understand OCD.
People think OCD and the first thing they usually think of is fear of germs and handwashing, or some type of ritual compulsions like checking the locks or the knobs on the stove but, there are other compulsions such as, reassurance seeking and avoidance. lets say for example you have an obsessive thought that causes you great stress. the thought could be about an insecticide that you sprayed around the house. you did all the safety measures, you wore gloves and a mask but you think maybe i  got a small drip on my skin and now you begin to obsess about the "contamination" of the chemical and what kind of harm it may do to you. you wash your hands like ANY human being would but that doesnt ease your anxiety. you start to read the label or call poison control or even the doctor seeking reassurance. once you are reassured you begin to feel better. that makes reassurance your compulsion because a compulsion is what you do to ease the anxiety that you feel from the obsession. the problem is that the compulsions become time consuming and obsessive in themselves.
or you could fear using that chemical again because of the anxiety it caused you but you know you need to use it to keep bugs out of the house. but you avoid using the spray because you dont want to feel the anxiety. now avoidance is the compulsion.
i personally have had a relapse and been suffering from intrusive thoughts daily for 10 months now. ive overcome them before and im sure i will again. so i fully understand your concern.
why do we fear having schizophrenia or psychosis? well, loss of control for one. we also think we have something far worse than we really do. like people with health anxiety. which i have been through myself. may experience muscle twitches and buzz like feelings caused by anxiety but they began to fear the worst. and in the mind of someone with H.A. they are gonna choose either multiple sclerosis or ALS. When the odds of having that are very rare compared to the odds that they are having muscle twitches due to stress and anxiety. this also involves "what if" thinking and catastrophizing.  i hope i was able to help you in some way. and that you feel some relief soon.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Tags: