Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Resting heartrate question!!  (Read 252 times)

Offline shershmiller

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Resting heartrate question!!
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »
Ok so I know an adult resting heart rate should be in the 60-100 bpm range however last night laying in bed mine was 56 bpm. I know this isn't a drastic range below 60 but I'm still kind of worried..

Now I've read up on it a bit and athletes resting heart rates can fall pretty low and be into the 40's. From what Ive read if you have a healthy athletic heart the 50's range is fine. I do workout regularly and have a job that requires me to walk around and be on my feet for most of the day.

BUT I've also read that resting heart rates should not at all be under the 60's mark. So I guess what I'm asking is for advice or reassurance that my resting heart rate is ok? I know everyone is different but what does everyone think about a RESTING heart rate being under 60?

Thanks for any replies!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Resting heartrate question!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
You are fine. It is not like you are hitting the 40 mark or anything like that. What they go is an average resting heart rate. For the word average we have to allow a few digits either side of the amount they tell you. Yes I do know people in sport can have 40 and lower. Which is amazing really. But your one sounds perfect to me. Nothing to worry about at all. I wouldn't be even checking my heart rate in bed. I assume you have a device you are using. I would bin the device. It will only make you worse.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 03:07:39 PM »
Hi Sher...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made ten meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Regarding your concerns about a heart rate in the mid 50's range, there is nothing at all wrong with a resting heart rate of 56.

Something that you might not be taking into consideration is your stance when taking your pulse.  If you are standing, and  take your resting heart rate, you will find it to be higher then when you are sitting and resting.  Likewise, both your standing and sitting, resting heart rates will be higher then when you are lying down and resting.  So a resting heart rate while you are lying down is apt to produce the lowest heart rate.

One's heart rate changes very, very frequently throughout the day.  There are number of driving forces responsible for this, one of those being your blood pressure.  Blood pressure is one reason why a lying, resting heart rate is the lowest you will find, as the heart does not have to fight gravity to circulate blood throughout your body.

I hope this helps to ease your mind.

The very best to you, Sher!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline shershmiller

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »
You are fine. It is not like you are hitting the 40 mark or anything like that. What they go is an average resting heart rate. For the word average we have to allow a few digits either side of the amount they tell you. Yes I do know people in sport can have 40 and lower. Which is amazing really. But your one sounds perfect to me. Nothing to worry about at all. I wouldn't be even checking my heart rate in bed. I assume you have a device you are using. I would bin the device. It will only make you worse.

Thankyou for the reassurance! Im not a regular heart rate checker I just randomly did it last night after reading up on heart rates (bad idea, I know) and I just used my wrist and finger to check it in a minutes time
Bookmark and Share

Offline shershmiller

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
Hi Sher...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made ten meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Regarding your concerns about a heart rate in the mid 50's range, there is nothing at all wrong with a resting heart rate of 56.

Something that you might not be taking into consideration is your stance when taking your pulse.  If you are standing, and  take your resting heart rate, you will find it to be higher then when you are sitting and resting.  Likewise, both your standing and sitting, resting heart rates will be higher then when you are lying down and resting.  So a resting heart rate while you are lying down is apt to produce the lowest heart rate.

One's heart rate changes very, very frequently throughout the day.  There are number of driving forces responsible for this, one of those being your blood pressure.  Blood pressure is one reason why a lying, resting heart rate is the lowest you will find, as the heart does not have to fight gravity to circulate blood throughout your body.

I hope this helps to ease your mind.

The very best to you, Sher!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:

Thankyou for the reply and the helpful info! Its like I knew it was fine it just puts me at ease getting some reassurance! Glad I joined!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
Honestly, my doc said if my heart rate drops below 60 to give them a call so maybe you just want to touch base with them to be sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dan_76

• Finland
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
Well, I have my resting heart rate usually below 60 and I am by no means fit. I am also overweight. But, my heart has been tested and it should be just fine. It is just beating slow for some reason. Still that keeps me worried. Especially when I hit the 50 or even somewhat below.

Normal ECG should tell if there's anything wrong with it. If your heart rate gets up during exercise (and the fact that you can exercise, proves already a lot) and ECG is fine, then it's most likely nothing to worry about.

So I would advise to talk to your doctor in order to get ECG done.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: