Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Running - glaucoma and general health  (Read 84 times)

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Running - glaucoma and general health
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
I've had two doctor's appointments this week - eye and gynecologist. Both send my stress levels right through the roof. Regarding the eye doctor - I am considered a "glaucoma suspect" due to family history of glaucoma and relatively high eye pressure (22, 23, 24 over the last few years). Every year I think that this is the year they tell me I have glaucoma and need to start on eye drops. To make a long story short, my last eye appointment was last May. Eye pressure was 23/24ish. In July I started running for exercise - usually 3/4 times a week, 2-3 miles a time. I started slowly as I am not a runner and not young. But I kept with it. Fast forward to last Monday, when I had my eye exam. I was shocked to discover that my eye pressure was reduced to 18/20! I asked the doctor is the running had anything to do with it and he said that there are studies that indicate that even mild aerobic activity can help eye pressure. I don't know if it was the running, but I am thrilled with the now "normal" pressure!

Today I had my gynecologist appointment. I hate it when they take my pulse, as my resting pulse rate is always high and worse when I am nervous. Usually at a doctor's appointment it is in the 90s. Today it was 72. A resting pulse of 72 despite the fact I was anxious and had coffee this morning! I was thrilled. Again, I don't know if the running helped lower my pulse rate by 20 points, but I'll take it.

I just wanted to pass along what I perceive as the benefits of running, or any aerobic activity. I am not someone who loves exercise, but to see this kind of health benefit in a year for me is thrilling. Plus, I have lost 10 pounds and my clothes actually fit better! Disclaimer - check with your doctor before you start anything strenuous, as running, etc., are not appropriate for everyone.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline JenBNimble

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Running - glaucoma and general health
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
That's great! I recently started running myself, 3x a week for about 30 minutes at this point, and I've also noticed positive changes in my overall anxiety level during the day. I'm glad you're getting some really tangible results. It's always nice to hear about successes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Running - glaucoma and general health
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
That's great news! I need to start working out again, I felt SO much better when I did it on a regular basis... :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: