Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified that this is 'it'  (Read 200 times)

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Terrified that this is 'it'
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:47:35 AM »
Just when I thought I was doing a bit better.....

Last Saturday I drove my husband to work so I could have the car for the day. Then I took my 1yr old out to lunch. Afterwards we went to hang out at a coffee house and I had some herbal tea. Then we went to the library and looked at picture books and played on the toys. I was feeling so proud if myself!  Then, as we were leaving, it hit. A crushing pain in my lower teeth. It lasted over half an hour. I drove to my husbands work and sat in the parking lot. When I walked into the store to use the restroom it came back, worse this time, and included tingling in my jaw and teeth. This time I had other heart symptoms as well, including chest and arm pain. I made my husband take me to the ER, and he had to leave work early.

They did an EKG and blood tests which all came back negative. This did not make me feel better at all because even the dr said it could take 6-12 hours for it to show up in my blood and it had only been 4 1/2. I begged to be kept for follow up tests, at least one after 6 hours, but he refused because I'm only 29.

I've spent the last week in constant fear, and my jaw has been bothering me a lot. Sometimes it's an ache, other times it's a weird tightness/pressure feeling. I did have the intense pain once before back in October, but it wasn't as long lasting and I fear it was a warning since it happened while I was walking.

This morning the pain and tingling has come back, along with periods of intense sweating. I'm terrified that I won't make it through the day, and that I'm not getting appropriate testing because of all of the times I've cried wolf, so to speak. I have to work until 11:30am, and then I'm home alone with my son until 8pm. Then maybe I can go to the ER and face the embarrassment and get a blood test that will be 12 hours after my symptoms started and will convince me that it's not my heart. But it will upset my husband a lot because he's tired of seeing me go only to come back in tears just as scared. I have an OB appt on Monday and I'm hoping to convince her to give me something for anxiety and depression, as I'm to the point where I'm depressed at the thought that I'll never feel happy and carefree again. I feel like my whole life is spent just desperately trying to live while in constant fear. I'm so scared if everything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified that this is 'it'
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
I am very sorry to hear you are feeling so badly. I would probably either call your regular physician or if things get
worse, go back to a different ER. The odds of a 29 year old woman having any heart issues are remote and a lot of
symptoms are blown off as anxiety related. I agree with you that I would pursue an answer until you get the answers
that you need or a definitive diagnosis, if any. Anxiety can cause many real physical symptoms and it can be difficult
to discern real health issues from anxiety related ones.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
I'd have to travel quite a distance to get to a different hospital. I fear that because of my age I won't be taken seriously everywhere. My jaw really seems to get worse based on activity, which is scaring the crap out of me. Of course I suppose it could be that because of fear I cause it to happen when I'm moving quickly or stressed, but I need someone to prove it to me. Like it got busy at work and I was walking quickly and noticed a weird tingling back in my jaw. I don't know what to do when I'm with my baby, if I call 911 who will care for him?
Bookmark and Share

Online forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
But wouldn't the EKG have show a heart attack if that is what is going on? You are too young to have a heart attack I am just trying to make you feel better. I too have the same fears at times I have not been feeling well for a long time and need to have some test done but I am afraid to. I wish that could have made you feel better but I wish they hadn't told you it could show up later. I wonder if another EKG at a dr office would make you feel better? The er is so expensive. I really don't feel you have anything going on you are just afraid of the pain. I hope you get to feeling better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
EKGs can miss heart attacks, and I don't think it's impossible for me to be having a heart attack. Unlikely, yes, but not impossible. A relative of mine had one at 33 and she had no risks for one.

Of course now I can't stop focusing on it. When I get home from work I will probably just cry and cry and do everything possible not to call 911. I'm so tired of living in this h-e-double hockey sticks. The ER is my only option because no one else in town will take my Medicaid.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
EKGs can miss heart attacks, and I don't think it's impossible for me to be having a heart attack. Unlikely, yes, but not impossible. A relative of mine had one at 33 and she had no risks for one.

Of course now I can't stop focusing on it. When I get home from work I will probably just cry and cry and do everything possible not to call 911. I'm so tired of living in this h-e-double hockey sticks. The ER is my only option because no one else in town will take my Medicaid.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: