Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Starting venlafaxine  (Read 573 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Starting venlafaxine
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »
Is this normal side effect which should subside?

Yes, it does happen. But you may also find that later you are hungrier than before and put on weight. All part of the 'joys' of the antidepressant journey. It's never dull in the beginning. :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dan_76

• Rec's: 0
  • Finland
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »
Is this normal side effect which should subside?
Yes, it does happen. But you may also find that later you are hungrier than before and put on weight. All part of the 'joys' of the antidepressant journey. It's never dull in the beginning. :(
Well, looking from the positive angle... I really have some weight to lose... otherwise I don't really notice much difference. Anxiety level is difficult to assess because it has been rather bad anyway and changing day by day. Oxazepam seems to carry me through the day somehow.

But so far no headache, nausea or anything "new". Well.. having said that aloud, I think it will be matter of hours when those will strike.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »
I really have some weight to lose

Exercise is good for both the waistline and anxiety/depression as it has a positive effect on neurogenesis. There's no need to run a marathon every day, a 20-30 minute stroll 4-5 times a week is enough.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dan_76

• Rec's: 0
  • Finland
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
So, it has been one full week on venlafaxine (75mg). I would not dare to say, but I think I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. My mind feels more clear than what it has been in more than a month. I don't feel so tense, stressed and faint. I feel rather normal occasionally.

Not sure if it's the venlafaxine kicking so soon or is it just the oxazepam making me feel better. I am taking 15mg in the morning and then try to get through the day with that. Although last weekend with the same or higher doze of oxazepam and just started venlafaxine I was feeling much worse.

Is it possible to feel the benefits of SSRI medication this soon, or is there something else going on? I read that the therapeutic effect should come somewhere around 3-4 weeks of use.

Well, tomorrow is the last day at work this week and if it still feels like this, I am going to try to skip the oxazepam on Saturday and see where it goes from there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »
Is it possible to feel the benefits of SSRI medication this soon, or is there something else going on? I read that the therapeutic effect should come somewhere around 3-4 weeks of use.

While some seem to get a quick benefit it is probably the placebo effect which can sometimes last until the real therapeutic effect kicks-in. Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to reach full effectiveness.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

anything