Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Appendicitis?!  (Read 341 times)

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Appendicitis?!
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »
My other thread didn't get any bites, so I thought I'd try another angle.  I've had a massive fear of appendicitis since forever.  My stress levels have been horrible ever since the new year.  I started having pains in my right side/abdomen, which seem to travel from ribs to lower back and groin.  I thought I pulled a muscle since the pains have turned to aches that aren't there most of the time.  The pains began at the beginning of February, and they've been mostly dull.  The only -pain- pain I've had is what felt like a few muscle cramps.

My question is can appendicitis come on slow like this?  I have times where I feel no pain at all.  Most aches only last a second and are gone again.  I greatly appreciate any insight.  I'm horrified that it's building up in there and I'll pass out someday when I'm alone.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Appendicitis?!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
I've never had appendicitis myself, but my 10 year old son had it this past December.  It came on fast.  He was fine one day and then the next he was throwing up every hour with horrible pains in his side.  He could barely walk or stand up, too.

I would think if what you are experiencing is appendicitis, you would be MUCH sicker.

It may be just something muscular or just thinking about it and focusing on it is bringing on the discomfort. 

Hope you feel better. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline funnybunny

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Don't worry- you're totally fine! I had appendicitis when I was a kid (11 or 12, I think it triggered my hypochondria, that's a long story though) and it presented over the course of 2-3 days and was VERY difficult. I couldn't sleep on my right side AT ALL and would cry if I tried, my appetite was GONE, I actually tried to sleep on a grocery store tile floor while my mother was shopping because it was cold and I felt awful. I couldn't do anything because I was in so much pain. I had terrible pain for three days, it hurt to laugh, car rides made me feel as if my stomach was being ripped open - and I actually almost had a real problem because it was rupturing DURING SURGERY. If this started in February, you'd be in a world of trouble by now. I'm guessing you need to A. relax B. drink some water C. ingest some psyllium husk.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:54:36 PM »
Thanks so much to both of you.  In my brain, I know these things, but then I read one horror story about how there was a blockage that came with mild symptoms and my HA goes nuts.

I've got a convention this weekend and I'm pretty worried about something happening there.

funnybunny - Would you mind explaining psyllium husk? (: I'm unfamiliar with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »
It's fiber. Just a variation that doesn't have artificial stuff all in it. More often than not, when I have weird pain in my lower abdomen, I gotta "take care of business." I can't tell you how many times I've had pain in my lower left side and been like I'M DYING. I won't name any diseases because I know how we can take these ideas and run, but it's definitely something I did not have. Anyway, then I take fiber, and everything is bueno again in a few hours. You won't have to worry about a blockage if you keep things going through the pipes. Oh, and drinking water helps a lot too, it helps keep you hydrated and regular. I don't think most people drink enough water.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
So if there was an appendix blockage, I wouldn't be doing #2?

I agree about the water thing; most people don't get enough.  Even I'm guilty sometimes, knowing this.  I'll look into the fiber. (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
If there was an appendix inflammation, you'd still be going to the bathroom but it'd be the last thing on your mind.

Blockages and the appendix are not really related. A blockage is like, if you haven't pooped in 2 weeks and haven't been drinking water and are older and have been abusing laxatives at some point to poop.  :goofy:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »
Thanks very much for your help!  I feel a lot better about this now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
I ALWAYS used to worry about blockages. Heck, a few weekends ago I ate some terrible nachos and got sick, and I was convinced that even though I was going to the bathroom, since it was NOT GOOD, I probably had a giant blockage. Then I took some psyllium husk, drank 64 oz of water for a few days, and things became much better. I don't have an appendix and I still get worried about the state of my digestive system! LOL :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »
Oddly enough, I didn't worry about anything much until this started up.  Not for a few years.  Now it seems like I could have everything!  I'm going to make a change in my diet habits immediately and hope that squashes my worries some.

Do you ever get little kicking sensations in your abdomen?  Like a muscle twitch or maybe gas moving about?
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »
YES. Probably at least once a week.  :rotfl: Stupid little muscle spasms. I just remember that they happen everywhere. Lately it's on my chest. Most of the time it's on my abdomen or thighs. Anxiety is the worst.

Also, if you change your diet, it will help with your worries a lot. At least in that department.   :bouncy:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »
I've started putting more veggies & fruit in already.  I find the texture of most of that stuff just gross.  :laugh3:  But after reading risk factors of things, they seem absolutely delicious.  But I'm 25 and most of the sites out there from my googling days would tell you symptoms and never mention the age group they were likely to attack.  Something that small reassures me, so I wish such things were easier to find without wading through horrible pictures and symptom lists.

Most of mine are my abdomen but last night I had a persistent one in my arm that I had to just stop and watch.  Thank goodness I don't worry about MS!
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
I'm 25 too. Well, in like 18 days. But I understand. My grandfather had Alzheimers and I have terrible memory so I was convinced I was starting to lose my mind...until I saw the average age associated with it. It makes me feel dumb. Intestinal blockages are usually associated with older folk or people who abuse narcotics/laxatives. So unless you have any of those risk factors, you are more than likely fine. Appendicitis is a different can of worms BUT I think it usually strikes when you're young. If you get it when you're older, it's a lot more rare. AND YOU'D KNOW it was a big deal. That's the most important thing. If you have a real emergency situation, you'll know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
omg, i have had appendicitis fear since about 4 years ago!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »
funnybunny - My grandpa had Alzheimers too.  I'm not really worried about that as much.  I'm more worried about my family members getting it than me.  I figure, and I know this will sound terrible, but I figure if I get it, I won't really be aware of it anyway.  Good to know other blockages are in older people as well. (:  My next worries on the list were kidney/gallstones, but I saw those are usually in older people as well, and other risks that weren't really me.  Also, Happy early Birthday! :D

Wait, it usually strikes younger than us?

terriberry; What triggered yours?  An episode of Roseanne started it all for me, of all things!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: