Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Cancer, social media, it's everywhere!!!!  (Read 277 times)

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Cancer, social media, it's everywhere!!!!
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:43:14 AM »
So I have a fear of getting cancer-ever since my grandfather died of cancer when I was really young. 

I've never really let it bother me, just acknowledged that it was a fear.

Then I started getting weird head symptoms (facial pressure, etc.) that I just KNEW had to be a sinus tumor.  It wasn't of course.  Then I figured it must be a brain tumor.  Doctors say it isn't.  So I'm trying to work with the fact that my symptoms are stress/tension/anxiety related and are GONE when I go to bed and first wake up.  Tumors don't do that.

Anyway, it seems like cancer cases are popping up EVERYWHERE!  Local news is always reporting on cancer patients in the area.  Social media is full of people reporting cancer cases amongst their friends and family.  Cancer care center commercials come on at least 10 times a day. Even the world news last night was talking about cancer patients.

So why is it that all of a sudden it's become a kind of "frenzy?"  I'm not the only who's noticed it in my area--many of my friends talk about the high number of cancer cases here...even to the point that we're wondering if it's environmental here????  Time to move???

It is not helping my cancer HA at all!!!

Can anybody else relate?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Cancer, social media, it's everywhere!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
Take this with a grain of salt. Cancer happens. Its common. Worrying about wether you will be get it is wasting your happiness while you don't. Trust me, I know. I regret the time I spent worrying and wish now I could spend that time with my family.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »
I am exactly the same.  Two people I knew were diagnosed with cancer at a young age (20's) and I have been absolutely terrified and obsessed with cancer since then.  It seems like it's everywhere I turn-- and not just old people.  I am not really in a place where I can give advice now since I haven't really figured out how to get rid of this fear.  It is weird because I am absolutely terrified of cancer, but don't give much thought to other, equally scary, diseases.  Maybe it's the prevalence of it in the media.  But I guess some things I try to keep in mind are that the media does love a good horror story; it's not too interesting to read about the girl who had stomach pains, went to the doctor and turned out to have an ulcer or gastritis.  And it IS rare in young people and cure rates are getting better and better, so cancer is no longer a death sentence.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:40:18 PM »
I know EXACTLY what you mean!!  I knew 3 people in a span of 2 years that got ovarian cancer!  (and I don't mean know "of", I mean personally KNOW!) And I'm RIGHT at the age for that!  (mid 50's post menopausal) all this stuff just freaks me out.
Then seeing a story on ***** entitled, "I thought my symptoms were menopause, turns out it was cancer"  Thanks, yes, thanks a lot...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
I know, I am really angry at the media for more or less ruining my life-- at least for the time being -- with these horror stories.  Of course regarding the people I know who had terminal cancer, that is a lot harder and there is, of course, no one to blame.  The obsession and fear has completely devoured me, to the point I am spending half my work day either on here or googling symptoms (despite telling myself over and over not to).  I just got the news that my childhood friend, one of the two young people I know diagnosed with terminal cancer, is dying, and I am actually going to visit him this weekend.  I am extremely anxious about it as I know it will intensify my fear.  But on the other hand, not going to let this stop me acting like a decent person.   One thing I try to help myself with is to tell myself that right now my life is so awful because of the worry that dying of something wouldn't be so bad, as it's not as though I enjoy anything anymore...
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »
Isn't it awful? In our area it seems to be brain cancer.  There are FIVE children (all under the age of 13) who have some form of brain cancer, and already three have died in just the past year.  Then there were the three adults (all of them under the age of 40) who died of brain cancer.  Not to mention the other forms of cancer that keep cropping up-mostly breast. But the number of brain cancer cases here is alarming, especially for something considered "rare."

So between seeing posts for all of those people on social media pages and then seeing the commercials on t.v., it just makes me wonder if cancer isn't as "rare" as doctors make it out to be? 

It's so frightening, and yet I think there are a bunch of other equally awful diseases out there that are probably just as common--but aren't as publicized.  Why cancer?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »
I think cancer scares people more because of the idea of something growing within your body that ultimately can cause your organs to fail, etc.  Also because the symptoms can be so elusive/nonspecific.  As well as the fact that if caught early, it makes it more curable (unlike diseases like Alzheimer's, MS, Lou Gherig's), which makes us HA people constantly on high alert to find it lurking in us.  Another reason I think is that the treatment itself is so awful, both in the aesthetic effects (hair loss) and physical effects (debilitating nausesa, etc.). 

Regarding the fact that so many people seem to get cancer, one thing to keep in mind (discussed in H. Gilbert Welch's book Overdiagnosed--highly recommended for HA people) is that, contrary to our intuition, lots of cancers (think many prostate cancers) are so slow growing they will never kill you, or even disappear on their own.  In fact, that's true for approx. 25% of breast cancers.  We think of cancer as something that always kills because in the pre-modern technology days, never knew about cancer until it was manifesting serious symptoms.  But modern technology allows us to find a lot of cancers that never would kill us in the first place.  Unfortunately, once the cancer is found it's impossible to know if it's one of the sorts that is so slow growing you will die of something else before it can kill you, or will go away on its own, or is the deadly type.  so all are treated with equal rigor (and imagine, as an HA person, being told you have cancer but you may just want to take the chance of waiting and see if it grows) .  So, according to Dr. Welch and many other physicians, our perception of the risk is skewed by virtue of the fact that many of the cancers are non-lethal and not even harmful.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
and MCT425, that sounds like an awful lot of brain cancer for one area.  Could it be environmental?
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »
Social media has also connected us to the world a lot more than we're used to. So we see these cases more often because now we REALLY have access to everyone's personal lives. Some cancers are definitely increasing in frequency, but others are drastically decreasing! But you don't see news about the tragic cases that DON'T happen.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
The media loves to sensationalize.  A story that everyone can relate to really sucks people in so that's why they do it.  They never want to talk about screening etc. just the horror stories.

The reason for all of the commercials is because cancer is big business.  A ton of money is thrown at every year and treatment centers pick on the vulnerable by doing everything short of guaranteeing that their treatment is the only treatment that will work.  I watched this with my friend.  She was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer.  Her sister is a physical therapist for Cancer Treatments Centers of America.  She was convinced that only her "hospital" could cure her sister and actually stopped talking to her for a short while because she opted to stay here.  Guess what?  She's a survivor, nearly a year out from her NED date.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: