Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sudden "obsession" with possible melanoma :(  (Read 303 times)

Offline mzeiger

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sudden "obsession" with possible melanoma :(
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »
Hi All!

I'm new here and looking for a little support on a recent issue, but first a little background.  My step-dad passed away from lung cancer 3 1/2 years ago.  Him and I were very close and this loss took a huge toll on me mentally.  Since then I've notice I am hyper-sensitive to health issues and often go overboard in thinking something is wrong.  Last month I made my husband go to the dermatologist to make sure a few spots on his back were benign.  I, however, had already convinced myself it was melanoma and the worst was bound to happen. 

Fast forward to last Thursday,  I get out of the shower and have a sudden obsession with a mole on my shin that has been there for I dont' know how long.  I take a few pictures and e-mail them to my uncle who is a doctor.  He tells me he belives it is benign just based on appearance.  In the mean time I make an appointment with my dermatologist to have the spot inspected in person.  Since then I began to obsess over a mole on my shoulder that, again, has been there for sometime.  Convinced both are melanoma and the worst will happen I send myself into panic.  Yesterday, I noticed a mole that used to be a medium brown on the side of my foot has since almost disappeared.  I've never heard of a mole doing that.  This morning  I saw the derm and she removed the moles I was concerned about - stating both were weird looking, but she felt they weren't melanoma.  She said that the one on my foot appeared to look okay and explained the immune system can take care of moles on its own.  She said the only time that would be concerning is if it were a melanoma that had disappeared.  I left feeling okay - hoping I would have results soon.

I made the mistake of posting a picture of the mole on my foot on Health Tap to see what other derms thought!  If you haven't been on Health Tap, don't, it's an anxious persons worst nightmare.  Regardless, I got a response that the picture was very worrisome and I should have it removed ASAP.  So in my typical anxious behavior, even though my derm said it was okay, I call my her office in a panic and will be having it removed tomorrow.  I should have results back early next week.

In need of major support/advice.  All this hypocondriac behavior has been kind of sudden onset.

TIA!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sudden "obsession" with possible melanoma :(
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »
I hope you're doing all right now.  The best thing you can do is get yearly mole checks from your dermatologist and stop scanning your body and wondering if this or that looks like melanoma.  The more you look, the more you worry, etc.  I'm really sorry to hear about your stepdad; it makes sense that that would cause serious anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sudden "obsession" with possible melanoma :(
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
...The more you look, the more you worry, etc.

And that's exactly why my signature, here, says, "I look, therefore I find."
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Tags: