Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Angry! Sad. Bad Doctors are the worst  (Read 117 times)

Offline colorlessideas

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Angry! Sad. Bad Doctors are the worst
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
So, I started going to a psychiatrist last month. My initial appointment lasted only about 10 mins. I told her I had been experiencing anxiety, especially about my health. She told me after 10 minutes that she thinks I have OCD. I didn't really think this was accurate, as I have been to psychiatrists before and never received that diagnosis. However, I said "ok, I'll give this a shot." It turned out that my insurance company would not cover treatment for OCD because it is a serious mental illness. When I found this out, I called the doctor's office and asked if they could revise the diagnosis to GAD, as I've been treated for that before and it was covered by insurance. Not to mention, the dividing lines between anxiety disorders, OCD, so forth are not clear. The woman on the phone said they'd be happy to submit that paperwork to my insurance revising the diagnosis.

I went for my next appointment and was told that my insurance would still not cover treatment. I had specifically looked up this page of my policy, so I knew for a fact that GAD is covered. However, although the doctor sent something to my insurance company claiming I had GAD, she did this in addition to the OCD diagnosis. So they still would not cover treatment. She refused to revoke the OCD diagnosis, and she refused to discuss it with me. What kind of asshole doctor does this? I cannot afford to go without insurance. There is ample evidence that she was mistaken about the diagnosis, but she would not even talk to me about it.

So angry!!!! I know insurance companies make it difficult, but what happened to doctors trying to listen to their patients?  It makes me not even want to try. I know I need to find a new doctor now, but I feel so discouraged. It is a big deal for me to get help. I have spend a lot of time and money. I have just gone through weeks of horrible side effects and for nothing, as I am going to have to stop taking the meds until I find a new doctor, then go through all of this all over again.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Angry! Sad. Bad Doctors are the worst
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
It sounds weird your insurance will cover GAD but not OCD.  They all should be covered under their mental health policy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Angry! Sad. Bad Doctors are the worst
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »
GAD is not considered a "serious mental illness" but OCD is. I don't understand it, but it's in the policy.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Tags: