Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Broke my Clavicle (How do I refill pain meds?)  (Read 250 times)

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Broke my Clavicle (How do I refill pain meds?)
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »
So I went longboarding a few days ago, began to speed wobble and ate crap, landed hard on my shoulder and broke my collarbone.

To avoid ER costs (which are rediculously expensive) I just went to a medical center in our town and did an express care for a $30 co-pay. Which they took x-rays, saw that it was broken and gave me a sling, and the doctor (who I've seen a few times in the past) prescribed me 30 5mg/325APAP hydrocodone to be taken every 4 hours. At that rate that's about 5 days worth.

Accounting for the fact that I don't take them throughout the night (however the first couple of nights I awoke at 5am in severe pain in which I took one... I'm obviously down to my last few.

I don't have a primary care doctor, which I should see into getting one which might take a while...

Anyways...

Hydrocodones and medication as such typically do not come with a re-fill as it's by doctor authorization, which is fine. The doctor said that it would take at least 3 weeks to heal and become mobile in my shoulder again... which obviously 30 wouldn't be a enough...

I called my pharmacy, and they acted as if they have never encountered this type of situation before... I told them that it was express care... and they're like "They usually don't refill these..."

and I'm like "I broke a bone... The doctor even said it would be at least 3 weeks minimal.. could you at least try?"

She said she would, and that she would get back to me, via by phone... I haven't heard from her today, I've got a few, but I'll be out tomorrow. Should I call her and ask for an update on the situation tonight or should I wait and worry about it tomorrow?

I think it's kind of rediculous, but I guess it's kind of my fault for not having a primary care doctor, I might get one... I don't care for the express care doctor too much..
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Broke my Clavicle (How do I refill pain meds?)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »
Hydrocodones and medication as such typically do not come with a re-fill as it's by doctor authorization, which is fine. The doctor said that it would take at least 3 weeks to heal and become mobile in my shoulder again... which obviously 30 wouldn't be a enough..

I'm surprised you were prescribed any pain medication. Most doctors would have recommended taking one of the over-the-counter pain relievers if needed. You should be healed enough in five days not to need anything. Most of the pain will be from bruising, not the fracture which generally will only hurt if you raise your arm above shoulder height, and maybe if you roll over onto that side in your sleep.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Cold
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
I'm surprised you were prescribed any pain medication. Most doctors would have recommended taking one of the over-the-counter pain relievers if needed. You should be healed enough in five days not to need anything. Most of the pain will be from bruising, not the fracture which generally will only hurt if you raise your arm above shoulder height, and maybe if you roll over onto that side in your sleep.

Ian

That's interesting, soon as 4 or 5 hours wears off I feel the pain as pretty sharp, I mean it is a broken bone, it sticks out when I'm upright and when I lie down it fallen back into place. I can't sit up on my own and I have hardly any movement in my arm, even adjusting it in it's sling is pretty painful.

But maybe youre right, I shouldn't have called in there before I stopped in on here and talked, I was hoping you were going to answer my question...

I hope they aren't going to throw me down for drug-seeking behavior now..

Who breaks a bone, especially a bone that can't be set by a cast, and not be prescribed any time of pain relief? I got hydrocodone for road rash and a chunk of skin from my kneecap.

I got hydrocodone when I was younger when I had warts frozen and they swoll up into huge blisters (some filled with blood).

Do they really typically recommend you take an ibuprofen for a broken bone?

Appreciate the reply.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Cold
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
Had it refilled the next day, no questions asked. Thanks for the info.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: