Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Stroke/Aneurysm Warning Signs?  (Read 168 times)

Offline Zearth

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Stroke/Aneurysm Warning Signs?
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »
A few years ago my grandma was struck with a huge horrible stroke that has rendered her a shadow of her former self, can't talk, can't move her side, can't display language, anything. Every time I'm around her, the thought of that terrifies me. Of suddenly having my brain backfire on me and render me in such a state forever.

Is there some ways to prevent or anticipate such things in advance before they become ticking time bombs?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stroke/Aneurysm Warning Signs?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 03:31:52 AM »
Not really. Strokes are just one of those things where either it will happen or it wont. My grandmother had the same thing happen. One minute shes fine sitting on the couch on the phone the next she was slumped over after her stroke. Same condition as well, can't speak, move her left arm, walk alone, etc. There is no way to prevent it besides the basics everyone knows. Eat healthy, exercise, keep your cholesterol down, avoid stress, etc. Genetics play a part in it as well. I had a friend who had a heart condition all his life who ended up dying after having a stroke at 21 in the shower. No signs or symptoms either, just turned the water on got undressed and it hit em. There really isn't anything you can do to prepare for it except try to live healthy and accept that it might happen it might not, but your odds of it happening especially if you are under 40 and live healthy are extremely low (without any preexisting heart conditions that you'd know about by now). And if you do your regular checkups at the doctor they would be able to notice anything before it became a serious issue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Hi!

Yes, in fact there are a few ways to prevent/screen for such things. Starting with brain annyeurisms, you can request an MRI of the brain with contrast which will be able to detect any existing annyeurisms. I had one a few years ago and they found what they thought was a brain annyeurism that was not causing any symptoms and now I just go every year or so to monitor it. Many people are born with annyeurisms and don't know it because they don't cause symptoms until it's too late. So, that would be my advice for the annyeurism. As far as the stroke, that's a little trickier. You could get your ANA blood levels tested which tests for blood clotting ability. It also has to do with lifestyle...keep blood pressure low and cholesterol. Hope this helps!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
Stroke is mysterious, indeed. Struck in my family with ghastly endings.

So I do the best I can to be pre-emptive with a variety of exercise. Doing all we can to avoid stress is big too. To that end I meditate, breathe in that healing oxygen, relaxing arteries and veins, keeping blood pressure in check as well as cholesterol, maintaining good weight. And should the monster strike, my wishes are in writing. Gives me some sense of control and peace.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: