Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What is derealization like for you?  (Read 353 times)

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What is derealization like for you?
« on: March 23, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
When I start feeling derealization, life starts feeling so weird. The places I've lived and grown up in my entire life feel foreign and strange. I start thinking about life and why people do what they do and how weird it is that people go to work that they hate and all this stuff. I get some existential anxiety and start questioning everything. Anxiety tricks me into thinking I'll never be normal and that I'll always over analyze my environment. Dusk seems to trigger these feelings sometimes because everything outside looks so weird in the sunset light. I fear never being normal again, even though I've read so many stories of people who have successfully conquered this Anxiety Monster.

Can anyone relate to these feelings? Better yet, has anyone totally overcome them, or have any self-help books that they've found useful for these particular problems?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tiredofbeingexhausted

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is derealization like for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »
I thought I was the only one! Life is not the same anymore. Anxiety is like a leech sucking the life out of me. Aside from the constant physical symptoms, I think way differently too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline petalzz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:26 AM »
When I start feeling derealization, life starts feeling so weird. The places I've lived and grown up in my entire life feel foreign and strange. I start thinking about life and why people do what they do and how weird it is that people go to work that they hate and all this stuff. I get some existential anxiety and start questioning everything. Anxiety tricks me into thinking I'll never be normal and that I'll always over analyze my environment. Dusk seems to trigger these feelings sometimes because everything outside looks so weird in the sunset light. I fear never being normal again, even though I've read so many stories of people who have successfully conquered this Anxiety Monster.

Can anyone relate to these feelings? Better yet, has anyone totally overcome them, or have any self-help books that they've found useful for these particular problems?

I have had very similar experiences with derealization. For me things just feel... foreign. I'll just find myself staring around the room and like you, I'll question things a lot. Also like you, I get some anxiety that goes along with it. I haven't had it real bad in a while but when I did, I just told myself it's derealization and in time it'll go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skimbleshanks34

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
I can relate entirely to your post. I've been in a derealized state for over five years, and it is constant. It never subsides, it's part of me. It feels like my brain is numb, everything seems a little darker than it used to. I get jealous when people claim to suffer DPDR when it comes and goes with recreational drug use. Mine wasn't caused by any substance. It just happened one day. I was at work when I first felt it. I was talking to a customer and a few words came out of my mouth that made no sense. I thought I had a stroke, everything looked strange. I told my manager that I needed to go home right away. I took the bus home, but I don't remember how I got to the bus stop, or if I paid for my ticket. I went to bed and slept for hours, hoping it would go away. It never did. I didn't feel normal anymore, and I haven't since. I can manage it fine, it has actually given me an interesting view on what it is to live. It almost numbs my anxiety symptoms in social situations. The only things I worry about now involve my family's health and my health. It's given me some courage. As much as I don't want to live this way, I think it's taught me a lot about myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
It makes me feel numb and everything zooms out.  I feel like I'm not controlling what I'm doing and I constantly question things (did i just say that, did I walk here).  Also holding my hands out in front of me they same small and like they aren't mine.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just a head sitting here with little to no value, not in a depressed kind of way just like I have no effect on anything.
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline Anxiousmind77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
I can't totally relate summersun, I've had derealization a few different times. One time it was for like 2 weeks straight. I actually read a great book during this time called "At last a life" . I can't remember who was the author but def. recommend it. It's a shorter book and it does tend to be a little repetitive. But I think for anxiety sufferers this aspect of the book could actually be helpful in that it will really get into our brains lol. Check it out. Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: