Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hard, bonelike "lumps" in each side of neck  (Read 300 times)

Offline jsflaherty

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hard, bonelike "lumps" in each side of neck
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
Hello everyone. Now before I get into this, I'd like to say that I'm 16 years old, and have never had any problems with anything like Cancer before. So about a year ago, on the bus, I was running my fingers along the side of my neck, when I felt just behind my jaw, and below my earlobe, in that little gap. It felt like there was a bone there, not directly below the skin, but if I put pressure on it, I could feel my muscle moving on top of it, so it's under a muscle. After that, I checked the left side of my neck, to find out that I did have another "lump" there, just not as prominent. I had to go a little deeper to find it. Now, there's no pain in either of these, and they haven't gotten bigger since. I've told my mother about it before, and she thinks that they're just bones. I've also looked this up before, of course, many of the results being things like "cancer", but one post in particular stated that it could be the end of my Hyoid bone? I'm just so confused about this. It reassures me to know that I have it on each side, but at the same time not knowing what it could be scares me. I doubt it's Cancer, but I'd like to come to you guys to help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hard, bonelike "lumps" in each side of neck
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. It may well just be bones, but the next time you go to the doctor,
you could mention it to him.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline gatorfan04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
Definitely not cancer.  I have these and immediately thought it was cancer as well.  Mine is way more prominent on the right side.  My doctor at first insisted they were bones but I wasn't satisfied with that.  Finally, my ENT figured out they were actually muscles that had become rock hard from TMJ disorder caused by clenching my teeth.  Stress can cause the same effect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jsflaherty

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
Definitely not cancer.  I have these and immediately thought it was cancer as well.  Mine is way more prominent on the right side.  My doctor at first insisted they were bones but I wasn't satisfied with that.  Finally, my ENT figured out they were actually muscles that had become rock hard from TMJ disorder caused by clenching my teeth.  Stress can cause the same effect.

Well that's definitely a relief, because I have TMJ too! It's a lot worse on my right side, which would explain why the lump is more prominent. Thanks, this really relieved me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline gatorfan04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:52:54 PM »
Then I'm certain that's what it is.  No problem and feel better. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
A while back, I posted something about the same exact issue. I thought it was a tumor, but I guess it's probably just part of the bottom of my skull or really hard muscle.  And I do clench my teeth, a lot, when I sleep.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline worriedmomofone

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »

I have this too and have also noticed "lumps".   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: