Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Feels like I'm allergic to water..?!  (Read 100 times)

Offline Daxter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feels like I'm allergic to water..?!
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »
I'm not kidding, I'm continuing to worsen, and with no doctor appointment/tests in sight for a long time, I can't cope. On top of all my usual "LPR-like" symptoms, which include post nasal drip, burning throat, a lump in the throat, nausea and belching, I find I'm really having trouble breathing of late, both through my mouth and nose. I've been examining my activities and diet for patterns. It's not allergies or a sinus infection, in fact it's brought on by drinking water! It doesn't matter what temperature the water is, when I drink it, or whether I've had food or not. As soon as I swallow it, mucus pools in my throat and I feel it and my nose close over. I can exhale fine, but as I inhale my breathing stops short due to the tight throat. This of course leads me to hyperventilate out of necessity, and me desperately clearing my throat to unblock it.

I've tried ignoring it, but my body forces me to take a deep breath after a while, and it's accompanied by lightheaded'ness, left arm pain, ear pressure and a feeling of tiredness. And of course, drinking more water only makes it worse too, as does burping.

I'm really frightened. Why can't I drink water without this happening? Is there some kind of damage in my throat I'm not aware of? Sorry to sound in a flap, but I can't very well go without water..!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feels like I'm allergic to water..?!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »
You're not allergic to water. It's extremely rare and only affects teenagers. It would be set off an allergic reaction such as hives. And would be all water, even your sweat.

Try drinking distilled or filtered water and see what happens. If you don't get a reaction or it's not as severe, it could be chloride or fluoride. It could also be anxiety because you are not associating water with something bad. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daxter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
You're not allergic to water. It's extremely rare and only affects teenagers. It would be set off an allergic reaction such as hives. And would be all water, even your sweat.

Try drinking distilled or filtered water and see what happens. If you don't get a reaction or it's not as severe, it could be chloride or fluoride. It could also be anxiety because you are not associating water with something bad.

Thank you for replying. I gave alkaline water and milk a try. Milk doesn't seem to get me until the mucus sets in (dairy and all...) and alkaline water is a bit hit-and-miss, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. I think it's mostly mucus-related, but the question is where is all this mucus coming from? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
I'm not kidding, I'm continuing to worsen, and with no doctor appointment/tests in sight for a long time, I can't cope. On top of all my usual "LPR-like" symptoms, which include post nasal drip, burning throat, a lump in the throat, nausea and belching, I find I'm really having trouble breathing of late, both through my mouth and nose. I've been examining my activities and diet for patterns. It's not allergies or a sinus infection, in fact it's brought on by drinking water! It doesn't matter what temperature the water is, when I drink it, or whether I've had food or not. As soon as I swallow it, mucus pools in my throat and I feel it and my nose close over. I can exhale fine, but as I inhale my breathing stops short due to the tight throat. This of course leads me to hyperventilate out of necessity, and me desperately clearing my throat to unblock it.

I've tried ignoring it, but my body forces me to take a deep breath after a while, and it's accompanied by lightheaded'ness, left arm pain, ear pressure and a feeling of tiredness. And of course, drinking more water only makes it worse too, as does burping.

I'm really frightened. Why can't I drink water without this happening? Is there some kind of damage in my throat I'm not aware of? Sorry to sound in a flap, but I can't very well go without water..!

Anxiety effects many people many different ways, for a while I was having trouble swallowing.  It was whenever
I ate something thick and creamy like mashed potatoes.  When ever I would try to swallow it felt like it got
caught on something in the back of my throat and it felt like my throat was swelled up I would have to cough it back up
or drink something to get it down needless to say it sucks and I know where you're coming from. 
The throat tightness is probably your Anxiety as well, seeing now as you've associated
water with being something bad,  that's all you'll think about when you drink it.
I had a bad problem with numbness for awhile also, I couldn't
feel my body well.  Whenever I drank water it felt like I wasn't even drinking it was very scary.  I recommend
doing some research on being allergic to water so you can see the likelihood.  But when you do start hyperventilation
close your eyes lay down or sit up whatever position is comfortable for you and imagine a relaxing
soothing place.  Put on some peaceful music and breath in through your nose, deep breaths to count of 4.  Hold
it for 3 seconds and then breathe out through you mouth for 4.  Do this whenever you have difficulty breathing, it may sound
dumb, but it really does help.  Try it and see where it gets ya and keep us updated. (:
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »

Thank you for replying. I gave alkaline water and milk a try. Milk doesn't seem to get me until the mucus sets in (dairy and all...) and alkaline water is a bit hit-and-miss, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. I think it's mostly mucus-related, but the question is where is all this mucus coming from? :(

The mucus is Post Nasal Drip I have it really bad, get some sort of nasal spray and it should clear that up.
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline Daxter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »

The mucus is Post Nasal Drip I have it really bad, get some sort of nasal spray and it should clear that up.

I don't suppose stress can be behind that? ^^;
Bookmark and Share

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »

I don't suppose stress can be behind that? ^^;

I'm not quite sure I believe it's an allergy thing, but I don't see why it couldn't be from stress
I don't know for sure though. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: