Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Colon cancer fear - sorry if TMI  (Read 207 times)

Offline nole23

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
Colon cancer fear - sorry if TMI
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:46:32 AM »
I'm really freaking myself out right now and I feel like I can't talk to my husband about this anymore- he's too practical and just keeps saying "get it checked out" - not very reassuring!
Basically I have had stomach issues for a very long time. I had a colonoscopy done 4 years ago, in which they found a benign polyp and removed it. Then two years ago I was having bloating, cramping, strange BMs etc and had a sigmoidoscopy done which was clear. I'm not sure what a sigmoidoscopy can detect - anyone know if it can detect colon cancer?? Since then I have gone through stages of stomach issues but not terrible.
Now for the past 2 months I've had bloating, constipation and diarrhoea, narrow stools and a bit of nausea. I'm really worried because I read somewhere that sometimes colonoscopies can miss cancerous polyps. I really wish when I had the sigmoidoscopy 2 yrs ago I had got a full colonoscopy! I am going to get one as soon as possible, but should I be concerned?? Is it possible that cancer could have developed in 4 years? The narrow stools are also really feeling me out.
I should also mention that I am 29 (30 in june) non smoker, but my grandma did have colon cancer so it is in iur family.
Help I'm so scared :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colon cancer fear - sorry if TMI
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »
Have you been diagnosed with IBS?  All of those symptoms can come from IBS.

How old was your Grandma when she was diagnosed?  Genetic colon cancer is typically early onset and the Dr's would have warned the family.  My best friends brother died from it an early age (I won't say how old so I don't trigger anyone).  She had a clear colonoscopy and doesn't have to have another for 5 years.  Her kids will have one beginning at age 16 and then every 5 years.  This same friend works for a gastro and they vary rarely diagnose colon cancer.  Most of the symptoms you mention are from benign causes.

I hope that helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
Thank you for your reply, it does help to know that colon cancer is rarely diagnosed.
My grandma was pretty young when she had it, she survived and is still alive (it was 20+ Yrs ago). My dad has to hVe colonoscopies every 5 yrs and my gastro recommended I do too after he found the polyp.
I really hope this is IBS but my doc wants to rule out everything else before calling it that. I know I am really stupid for googling and freaking myself out, I really should know better, but it's tough when symptoms are so real...  >:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »
I have something similar to IBS and your symptoms sound more like IBS related.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Thanks Lam123. I really hope that's what it is. It's so hard because IBS is very vague and can't be diagnosed I ok everything else is ruled out. My doc is also looking for food intolerances, h.pylori etc.
I get my blood tests results on Wed. If I had colon cancer would something be off in my bloods? I am so upset that I am back on this HA path. It's the waiting and knowing that I will have anxiety that causes me the most anxiety- so silly!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: