Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Have you ever tried to make friends with your anxiety?  (Read 143 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Have you ever tried to make friends with your anxiety?
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:02:45 PM »
My therapist taught me about Acceptance therapy.  She showed how sometimes anxiety is helpful and welcome.  Like when I'm doing a book signing and giving a speech.  I know I'm gonna be nervous, but I also know I'm going to do great.  And I do.  In that case, the anxiety and worry actually adds to the fun.

So instead of wanting to eradicate anxiety, I'm trying to make peace with it.  I acknowledge that some anxiety is a normal part of being alive and the goal is not to have zero anxiety.  I just need to learn to use that energy to my advantage.

It's like when I found out my apartment had bed bugs.  It was a lot of work to remove them.  But at night, I also made peace with the critters.
I told them good night and that I didn't blame them.  But that I would like them to leave my place.  In some ways it reminds me of my new relationship to GAD anxiety.  To not be afraid of it.  To be on speaking terms with it.  And to feel it's something I can manage the stress on my own.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 56
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Have you ever tried to make friends with your anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
Actually, I have . . . .my approach was what I called the Mr. Spock from Star Trek approach. . . .control the emotion, etc. Well, we all know how well that worked out for him and it wasn't much better for me . . . .then, I started to figure out that maybe my anxiety could be if not my friend, perhaps a colleague . . . so, I made a deal, if you will, with anxiety brain that I would it trust it as an early warning system . . . .when I am getting over my head in stress, anxiety's role is to pop in with a symptom or two which I then use to tell me that I need to take a step back . . . sometimes anxiety, like all good colleagues, gets a bit bossy and I have to go into management mode but often it will simply be my early warning system . . . I don't always like it when it pops in but it is usually correct to alert me that I am not dealing with something or I am repressing something or there is an unanticipated trigger . . . I am not sure that anxiety will ever become my best friend, but as long as we are on cordial speaking terms, then it is okay . . . .so, yes, I have made tentative friends with anxiety but I am still cautious . . . .I want to read more about acceptance therapy . . . it sounds interesting . . .thanks for sharing this with us . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:28:16 AM »
Hi KC, thanks for your post.  We are definitely on the same page here.  I'm tired of seeing anxiety/GAD as my enemies, as terrorists.
I like the idea of seeing them as colleagues.  I rarely hear anyone on anxiety boards talk about this concept of making a kind of peace
with one's anxiety.  Makes sense to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:28:55 AM »
Hi KC, thanks for your post.  We are definitely on the same page here.  I'm tired of seeing anxiety/GAD as my enemies, as terrorists.
I like the idea of seeing them as colleagues.  I rarely hear anyone on anxiety boards talk about this concept of making a kind of peace
with one's anxiety.  Makes sense to me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: