Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Messy house gives me anxiety  (Read 269 times)

Offline Shurl102

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Messy house gives me anxiety
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »
Have been depressed for so long my house is a mess.  Now I have anxiety about where to start.  I'm behind in so much.
Bookmark and Share
Shurl

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Messy house gives me anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:01 PM »
Couple of suggestions . . .

1.  if you can afford a housecleaner even just for a few visits to get you started, do it;

2.  if not, carve out just one thing to do in a day or, if that is not possible,

3.  do you have family or friends who would come and get you de-messified so you could start at the beginning but it will be up to you to continue because I don't even have friends or family who would clean my house :)

But, are you sure it is the messy house that is the cause of your depression, or is there something else going on for which you might need some professional guidance? Just asking because when I am anxious or depressed, I just cannot get going until I address the issue(s) . . .take care, let us know how you are doing, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahefner33

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:30 PM »
I get this and at one time it never bothered me. Just got me riled up. Now that i suffer daily physical symptoms i still get this anxiety but escalates when i realize i dont have the will power to do anything about it.
Bookmark and Share
Live

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:51:25 AM »
I am not sure, in my experience, that it is a matter of will power . . . if getting over anxiety and depression were simply a matter of will power, I think many of us would not be suffering . . . .in my opinion, it takes a hell of a lot of will power to put up with anxiety and depression and manage it, so if all I had to do was say I could get rid of my anxiety simply by cleaning the house, I would have the cleanest house in the world . . .

For me, my house being a mess is more of a symptom of anxiety because it can be relentless and energy sapping  . . .sometimes, though, and this depends on just our individual experiences and where we are with the anxiety, just a very very small accomplishment can lead to bigger ones . . .again, for me, this was a very long process rather than a light bulb turning on event . . . .and it had to be restarted I don't know how many times . . . .

So, please be careful of inflicting guilt on yourself but framing a messy house as a lack of will power because all that does is feed anxiety and depression but making you feel that you should be guilty and I don't feel that it is either productive or true . . . .

My two cents . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahefner33

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:20 AM »
Hey kc

But thats what it is. Im more physically/mentally drained that like you said its "physically sapping" therefore i dont have the will power to do anything about it. No interest, no desire, the just let it go mentality. Thats what i meant. Sorry
Bookmark and Share
Live

Offline BarbieB

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
Cleaning actually calms me. I blast music and just wrap myself in cleaning.  Keeps my mind busy and i feel a million times better when done. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Shurl102

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
I guess it's more of a symptom.  My anxiety & dp have been rough for a long time.  I've  just lt it go. I've let go of so much...just couldn't handle it.  My husband tries sometimes.  He's stressed.  As I hopefully get better, I'll take one thing at a time.
I just get so overwhelmed by it all.

Thanks for your help. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Shurl

Tags: