Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Left shoulder pain and hypochondria ADVICE?  (Read 218 times)

Offline Inevitable7742

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Left shoulder pain and hypochondria ADVICE?
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:31:58 AM »
Hey all i was hopeing to get some advice. Long time reader first time poster. Im 23 yrs old and a smoker, dont drink. So yesterday im at work stocking some shelves and i realized my left shoulder hurt alot from stocking (im left handed) i got home and felt anxious. Oh no here we go i thought, this caused my shoulder pain to worsen and i was having a full blown panic attack obsessing over how my shoulder hurt and i was CONVINCED its a heart attack or early warning of one. Since then i still feel scared about it, i still have the shoulder pain and also some chest and neck pain. I feel like im short of breath but it all could be anxiety. I took ibuprofen and the shoulder and chest pain got alot better. If it were a heart issue wouldnt ibuprofen not help? Maybe tmi but during sex theres no symptoms? I should also mention about 4 months ago i had an ekg and excercise stress test done, both normal. Even after my anxiety attack im still constantly obsessing and checking pulse cuz of random shoulder arm and chest pain. Please help console my frantic mind :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Left shoulder pain and hypochondria ADVICE?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:24:55 AM »
Does it hurt worse when you lift that arm, lay down or lay on the left side?  If so - it's your rotator cuff.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Inevitable7742

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:54:35 AM »
Does it hurt worse when you lift that arm, lay down or lay on the left side?  If so - it's your rotator cuff.
     no not really, i mean my shoulder feels tense but doesnt hurt to lay on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
Based on your description it sounds muscular.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Inevitable7742

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
Based on your description it sounds muscular.
    thanks for the reply, more re assurance would be helpfull, i notice my arms get more tingly then usual. Like i slept on them but im also hyper sensative cuz of the anxiety. Its weird tho i still have symptoms when not feeling anxious
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
The tingling adds to the belief you did something to your shoulder while stocking shelves.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:59:11 PM »
I've had heart symptoms for 3 years now. It initially started with left shoulder and arm pain. I've been worked up by the cardiologist and er tons of times all with normal results. They say its anxiety and muscles. I still deal with the anxiety of it everyday so I know how you feel. I'm looking into fubromyalgia now. At least then I'll have a diagnosis. Lol
Bookmark and Share

Online AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:18:10 AM »
Have you considered that maybe you injured or overworked your shoulder stocking shelves? Be logical now, you're okay.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Inevitable7742

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »
Yes i agree and im a very logical person but somehow when im anxious its like i turn dumb lol. I lose all logic and spin down into a hole. Idk theres obv something wrong with me. It sounds crazy but i convinced myself ive had cancer, tumors, liver failure, kidney failure and heart attack or stroke etc. Im seriously like chucky from Rugrats
Bookmark and Share

Online AP151

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:34:07 AM »
Yes i agree and im a very logical person but somehow when im anxious its like i turn dumb lol. I lose all logic and spin down into a hole. Idk theres obv something wrong with me. It sounds crazy but i convinced myself ive had cancer, tumors, liver failure, kidney failure and heart attack or stroke etc. Im seriously like chucky from Rugrats

I understand, all of us understand. We're all here on this forum for a reason right? Totally understand the feeling where you lose all logic. I've been convinced I've had colon cancer (I'm 16 which makes that a totally irrational fear), ALS (again, irrational), MS, a brain eating amoeba, list goes on. All of those have something common, they're all rare. Even more so at my age. And they're all major diseases that strike fear in people. My point is, anxiety and fear makes you irrational. Look up catastrophizing if you haven't yet. All of us on here do it.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Inevitable7742

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »

I understand, all of us understand. We're all here on this forum for a reason right? Totally understand the feeling where you lose all logic. I've been convinced I've had colon cancer (I'm 16 which makes that a totally irrational fear), ALS (again, irrational), MS, a brain eating amoeba, list goes on. All of those have something common, they're all rare. Even more so at my age. And they're all major diseases that strike fear in people. My point is, anxiety and fear makes you irrational. Look up catastrophizing if you haven't yet. All of us on here do it.
                            well thanks man, im 23 so a heart attack is rare, hell ALL of what i mentioned is rare. I looked up catastrophizing and it sounds very familiar lol. Sometimes i go a few hours without worrying about it and then a thought pops in and it depresses me a bit. Its almost as if im addicted to the stress and sudden relief, like ill worry then rush to the doc and once she clears me its like a high feeling. Very weird
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietyruinmylife

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 05:31:36 AM »
my shoulder blade hurts only hurts when i push my shoulder down
it doesnt hurt when my move my arm, make a fan or lift heavy stuff
sometimes it hurts alot sometimes it doesnt hurt at all so yea
its been hurting for almost a year 
Bookmark and Share
i'm 24 with mild anxiety

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
You've had the tests.  It's anxiety.  After the back the shoulder is the most popular muscle group to be subject to chronic stress.  Plus you are left handed, and that is the side you would react to in  the "fight or flight" reflex, clinching and shrinking and rolling the shoulder over, all done unconsciously.

As far as a rotator cuff, forget about it.  It's a catch all, unless you are a major league pitcher or an NFL quarterback. 

Why doesn't it hurt during sex?  Easy, your thoughts are on another muscle.   :laugh3:

You're at the age that if you understand you have an anxiety illness you can get help with it and learn how to deal with it; otherwise, your symptoms will get worse, and you will go from doc to doc, and end up a true mental and physical basket case. Do something about your anxiety now!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Inevitable7742

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
You've had the tests.  It's anxiety.  After the back the shoulder is the most popular muscle group to be subject to chronic stress.  Plus you are left handed, and that is the side you would react to in  the "fight or flight" reflex, clinching and shrinking and rolling the shoulder over, all done unconsciously.

As far as a rotator cuff, forget about it.  It's a catch all, unless you are a major league pitcher or an NFL quarterback. 

Why doesn't it hurt during sex?  Easy, your thoughts are on another muscle.   :laugh3:

You're at the age that if you understand you have an anxiety illness you can get help with it and learn how to deal with it; otherwise, your symptoms will get worse, and you will go from doc to doc, and end up a true mental and physical basket case. Do something about your anxiety now!
                                 thank you, i agree my doc currently is a reputable sports medicine doctor, she suggested meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy. Is there anything else to help anxiety without drugs? I used to self medicate with narcotic pain killers so anything addictive like benzos are out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: