Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Possible Pre-diabetes?  (Read 271 times)

Offline cafeterrace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Possible Pre-diabetes?
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »
Hey all,

I'm looking for some knowledge in regard to diabetes. I have been tracking my blood sugar for the last day or so and I've noticed that almost all of my readings are above 100.

I have an appointment to speak to my dr and have some blood work done on Monday, however I'm looking for a little short term comfort.

My journal keeping on this kind of sucks, but some examples of my readings:

For dinner I ate a black bean burrito with some queso and chips and a little bit of orange juice.
At around 3 hours later my blood sugar meter was still reading at 118.

Last night before going to bed my blood sugar was reading at 104 (this was 4 hours after I had eaten dinner)
I was starving though so I ate half of tangerine.
When I got up the next morning, 6 hours later, it read 100.

The only time it read below 100 was after eating breakfast this morning it was at 83 (I had had some oatmeal and cottage cheese).
and mid morning it actually rose to 94 even though I hadn't eaten anything, but I was super hungry.

I took it a few other times and they were also over 100 but they were similar to the situations listed above. I know that they say anything between 70-120 or so is normal, but a lot of things I read state that in non-diabetic people it should be down under 100 after around 2 hours. Can anyone shed some light on any of this?

Thank you so much!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Possible Pre-diabetes?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 07:24:47 AM »
Why are you taking your blood sugar readings?  Were you directed to by your doctor or is this a project of your own design?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
Take your readings after about an 8 hour fast - then it should be under 100.  Any other time it can be higher.   I am NOT diabetic, but 3 hours after eating M & M's it was 124.   Also, if you have a cold, virus, even a small one, that will raise your sugar.
Fruit is very high in sugar.  My husband is diabetic and he can't even eat grapes because they do a number on his readings - WORSE than a can of Coke!  (however a doctor will tell you that sugar from fruit is different than sugar from a Coke - but just looking at readings you can't know that, all you see are the numbers.
(OK, I did something just for you...   I had eaten a muffin about 1.5 hours ago and I used my husbands meter to check MY sugar - it was 119) - I TOTALLY am NOT diabetic.  I think you are fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cafeterrace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »
Patmob - I decided to start taking my blood sugar because I've gained some weight in the past few years and I constantly feel hungry. I use to have a fear of hypoglycemia, and I just wanted to know what my levels were. When I started seeing they were consistently a bit higher it freaked me out as both of my parents are considered pre-diabetic.

Sunlover - You're so sweet, thank you! haha. It did make me feel a bit better. I did check this morning after an 8 hr fast and it was 101. Last night I ate dinner and then didn't eat anything else for 5 hours and it was 93. I ate a handful of cashews because I was super hungry and went to bed. I woke up 8 hrs later and took it and it was 101. I then waited another hour, still fasting, to see if it went down and it went up to 103 o.O
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »
If you are fighting an infection or virus (and you may not even know it because your white blood cells may be in there fighting and if they win you'll never get any symptoms of anything) that will elevate your number...  but if you truly are worried you can nip that whole diabetes thing in the bud by just cutting down on sugar - had a friend who was getting about 120-130 after fasting and decided to stop drinking soda, and she started taking walks.  She's back to normal levels.  That is very easy to remedy (cut out excess sugar and do some exercise - a walk, anything like that).
And maybe YOUR meter isn't as good as a doctor's.  It may be off.  You can go for a medical blood test.  The numbers can be different.   Like when I go for mine I check with my husbands at home, then I go for my blood test and it could be up to 10 points off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »
The very best thing for you to do is to get a fasting blood sugar done at your Dr's office, although I will say with those numbers, it is very doubtful that you're diabetic.

Anyone I've known that has been diagnosed has had extremely high sugar readings at the time of diagnosis. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »
The Hemoglobin A1c is the best test for blood sugar.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
Your readings are normal. Two hours after eating your blood sugar should be as close to 100 as you can get it so 118 is normal. The American Diabetic Association suggests for it to be under 140, two hours after eating, for it to be normal but that's only for full blown diabetics.

I had prediabetes so I know the readings. My blood sugar would be at 210 two hours after eating. That's what's considered prediabetes. Incredibly my fasting blood sugar was always in the "normal" range, which is below 120 here in the U.S. I still believe that is too high since fasting shouldn't be over 100.

So, don't obsess over your blood sugar. Its normal. If your going to check it, you must be consistent, as in checking it for ten days straight. You also only need two readings during those ten days, one fasting preferably as soon as you wake up in the morning and the other two hours after eating your largest meal of the day which would be dinner. Write them down and give them to your doctor. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:03:45 PM »
If I were you, I would stop checking your blood sugar so much, unless a physician instructed you to.
My wife is a long time pharmacist and she said you should fast for at least 8 hours and have your
blood taken at a physicians office. There are also other tests such as a glucose tolerance test, which checks for
diabetes. According to my wife, your readings sound OK to her.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: