Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of passing out. Interfering with my life.  (Read 178 times)

Offline Vedabug54

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of passing out. Interfering with my life.
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
Hi all! Hope everyone is well. This started for me two weeks ago. I drank a regular coffee (I am super sensitive to caffeine) it triggered lightheadedness, shakiness and ultimately a panic attack. I thought I was going to pass out and since then it's been a everyday fear. I'm not afraid of actually beings passed out but more so the feelings of passing out. If that makes sense. I work retail and am on my feet often for my shifts and have never fainted. Also two pregnancys working on my feet and have never fainted. I actually called out of work yesterday for fear of it. Can anyone help with this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of passing out. Interfering with my life.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »
I used to when younger.  Anytime I'd be in a place with "organized" people (in a church, in a meeting, etc) I'd check for the exits first before I'd sit down and I'd sit in a place near an exit just in case I felt "sick" or like passing out.  It was the thought of embarrassing myself that I feared.
Of course I never fainted in my life, but like you the fear was there.  STILL never fainted in my whole life, but after many years I realized it was all anxiety MAKING me like that and if I'd get like that I'd just keep controlled breathing and say, "You are OK, you are fine!" over and over again.  Now I can go to a place with "organized" people, not even LOOK for the exits, sit in the middle of the room, and I'm good. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashmaster

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »
This is my major anxiety issue, a fear of passing out, I have passed out 2 times prior as a result they think of anxiety/hyperventilating.
The good news? I'm still here. The bad news the fear is as well however with that being said the first time i passed out i didn't expect it and fell on my face and i was still fine other then a bruise or 2, and the second time i was sitting when i passed out so no harm done there.

I was told by doctors its a vascal vagal response and though you might get the pass out feeling because of anxiety rarely does it actually happen because of the adreniline. most people i know have passed out at least once in their lives anxiety or not.

something i should note; both times i passed out i had not eaten that day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
You will rarely if ever faint from anxiety. When you have a panic attack or start getting anxious your blood pressure actually rises. In order for you to faint your blood pressure has to drop. There's a big difference between feeling lightheaded and actually fainting. The only way anxiety could cause you to faint is if you start hyperventilating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vedabug54

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »
I'm just afraid I'm gonna be standing and then boom fall down for no reason. But I suppose that if my blood pressure rises I should be okay? I hate living this way
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »
You won't just fall.  You will begin to feel weird.  Sounds sounding far away or patches of dark in your vision - getting very weak in the legs... maybe shaking, sweaty...  (maybe not ALL symptoms at once, but at least 2 of them) You will have time to sit (people that just fall I believe are ignoring those symptoms and thinking they'll be OK)
And exactly, if your blood pressure RISES you won't pass out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: