Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Strange "lump" on thigh.  (Read 333 times)

Offline shaula

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
Strange "lump" on thigh.
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
Well good morning everyone, hope you have been well. I have been doing okay in my panic attacks (better than I've been in a long time anyway).

Lazt night, I had a bad one...and now it seems my hypochondria has returned full-flare. I have a very strange "lump" on my thigh, about four inches above the knee on the left side of my thigh. It looks like a part of my thigh muscle is big on that side, at least bigger than on the other side. The lump isn't sticking out of the skin much, and it's not hard, hot, firm, discolored or painful or anything....I just feel it when I run my hand over my thigh, and I can see it when I am looking at it. Well I did my best not to google last night (and I didn't) but I went to sleep scared....and this morning I didn't google for maybe three hours....I did some exercise....and then had some free time so yup....I wwnt straight to doctor google...

And guess what, no suprise that google returned nothing but cancer results...and now I am in a full-blown panic attack. I don't have health insurance and no means of paying for a doctor to x-ray or mri my leg or whatever....and I'm only 22 and about to graduate college....I don't want to have something like cancer :( I am so scared right now!!!! :(
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Offline justtrish

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Strange "lump" on thigh.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:53:25 AM »
Hi Shaula,

I registered for an account just to talk to you about this. (I've been lurking for awhile!)

My daughter is 20 and we literally JUST got off this same rollercoaster 3 weeks ago! She found a lump in her thigh muscle, not on the surface of the skin, but well within the thigh. I had no clue so started Googling and lo and behold what do I find?! Nothing but bad news. I panicked and was a wreck thinking my poor daughter had the worst thing imaginable because that is literally ALL that comes up when you Google.

I was convinced it must be sarcoma and luckily in ATL we have a sarcoma center at the University Hospital which is excellent, so instead of fooling around with our Primary Care Drs I made an appointment with an oncologist. He immediately sent her for an MRI (with and without contrast, did the leg and the pelvis too). Waited for over a week to hear results...inconclusive...sent her to another oncologist. He ordered a CT guided biopsy. The Radiologist came out and got me the moment they had her under the CT scan - he said it was a Vascular Malformation called an Angioma, but for our peace of mind he would biopsy it anyway. They took a BUNCH of tissue samples and it was ALL BENIGN! The 2 weeks waiting for the final biopsy were the hardest!

The main thing I want you to know is, there ARE definitely other things it can be when you find a lump. I didn't believe it, but it is true. But the oncologist did tell me that we were very smart for getting it checked right away. Angioma's in the thigh are rare (they are normally in the brain/spine) but can be anywhere. Hers is 4cm and has probably been there all her life, but may have recently grown. She does not have to have it removed unless it ever bothers her.

Remember, there are also LOTS of benign lumps and lipomas. Unfortunately with a lump the only way to tell is a biopsy.

Good luck to you my dear! Try not to worry, but I have intense HA too so I understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »
A number of years ago, I had two large lumps on my thigh. They turned out to be Lipomas and were
removed by a general surgeon, as they got big and painful. I would get them checked out by a
dermatologist, as I did with mine.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline shaula

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
Thank you both very much for your responses! I know I should stay away from google (everything it told me was horrible!!), but I just couldn't help myself and I wound up getting so obsessed with diseases that I didn't even know existed that I made myself feel sick! I don't have many options by way of health insurance, which my family is working on, but there is a campus clinic that I will probably visit so I can at least have a doctor look at it. I guess what scared me is that google said most of the time you want to worry about painless lumps than painful ones...I didn't even know mine was there until I really looked....and even then it's not so much of a noticiable lump as it is a kind of....I don't know it reminds me of a gently rolling hill...a slight rise in the skin. I don't feel anything when I push down on it, and when I move my leg in a certain way, it all but disappears!

I'm starting to think it may just be something in the muscle being bigger than on my other leg?....or maybe that it has always been like this and. I just never cared to notice!! I do notice that I fold my left leg under me when I sit at my desk and that I do favor it over my other leg (because I have sprained my right ankle so much that it's a little unstable)...so maybe that means my right leg isn't as developed as my left? I don't know!

Regardless, I do agree that it is best to leave it examined by a doctor and not just allow myself to keep guessing over it....now I'm afraid she'll laugh at me when I say I have a "lump!"  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Offline NJMom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
Shaula,
How are you?  I came here for the exact reason you did - and you are the only person who has described their leg lump the same as mine!  Mine is four inches above the knee on the right leg.  Kind of a ridge that feels like muscle, with a small softer bump.  It sticks out when I sit on my leg, and I can feel it better when I'm driving.  I can't even find it when I am standing up. In fact my physical therapy guy says it is just muscle from overworking that leg because of a bad hip.  He says we are all uneven.  I did ask my doctor to look at it, and he can feel a small lumpy thing which he says is too small to worry about.  I am trying really hard to believe him. Just FYI I have several friends who have had lipomas and they do not usually hurt (unless they are associated with fibromyalgia).  They are benign fatty deposits.

Let us know if you find out anything!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: