Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood test shows high liver enzymes  (Read 430 times)

Offline Sammy13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood test shows high liver enzymes
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:20:33 AM »
So I just had a routine blood test for a physical and my liver enzymes (alt) was 4 points too high . Now I am in severe health anxiety once again I do drink a lot so now I am afraid that I am developing liver disease and then of course hepatitis comes up as one of the possible causes on line now I'm terrified... Anyone have any insight into this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood test shows high liver enzymes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 06:11:29 AM »
Your ALT was only 4 points too high? The rest were normal? I honestly would not think this is something to stress over. I had routine blood work a couple years ago and my ALT and AST were both elevated (more than 4 points!). My doctor, who was retiring, put me through a ridiculous amount of tests including an abdominal ultrasound and lots of bloodwork. All that came back was that I had a "slightly fatty liver," which is not unusual for someone my age. I also had had a beer the night before the test, which definitely can cause elevated enzymes. A month or so later, after being convinced I had liver disease and spending a month in massive stress, I met with my new doctor who retested me and my enzymes were back to normal. He said that they can fluctuate so easily - anything can cause elevation - alcohol (a biggie), tylenol, a recent cold or infection, lipitor, other meds. I think doctors look at all the bloodwork as a unit and not just one thing. What does your doctor say? Is he concerned?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
Oh Sammy, 4 points is nothing.  I have autuoimmune liver disease and my levels are nearly twice the normal amount and my ALP is nearly 3 times normal.

I am in the process of going through biopsy now to stage my disease and get on meds, but 4 points in nothing.  Alt and ast can vary a lot from just what you ate before you took the test.

Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline Sammy13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
Thank you both for your responses , and I'm sorry to hear you are going through a rough time good luck with everything! And thank you 2jrts but it was a blood test for my fire department so they just told me to see my regular doctor about it. I'm also on Xanax not a lot at all but I just started taking it about a month and a half prior, I heard that can also effect liver enzymes
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
Its good that you are tracking your results.  Make sure you always look at them and don't just assume what the doctors says as being normal.  I know that isn't probably a good thing to say to some with HA, but sometimes they say normal and its higher than it should be.

Yours, though, are quite within normal range.

Good luck
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Tags: