Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Multiple Sclerosis and the Question Game  (Read 504 times)

Offline Karloff29

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Multiple Sclerosis and the Question Game
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
Health Anxiety and I are like old friends who hate each other but keep running into each other...

Recently I've noticed that I have been experiencing small muscle twitches. Most of the time, the twitch is just a singular movement that is gone almost as quick as it appeared, but other (more rare) times, the muscle will twitch several times before relaxing again.

These twitches mainly occur in my legs, but also occur in other areas of my body.

When these types of oddities arise, I naturally assume the worst, and in this case - Multiple Sclerosis.

I recently dealt with a few weeks of intense stress and anxiety about perceived hand tremors (which didn't exist), but now I am facing this. My doctor does not seem worried or concerned, but I just wanted to get some insight and opinions on this new fear of mine.

I've read that muscle twitching is a symptom of Multiple Sclerosis, but at what point and to what degree?

Aside from some muscle tension which came on after the twitches began (almost definitely due to stress and anxiety over the issue), I am not experiencing any weakness, fatigue or changes in a physical sense.

Am I looking into this too much?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline eizeral

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Multiple Sclerosis and the Question Game
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »
I've read that most muscle twitches are benign and nothing to worry about...I too have experienced a few muscle twitches in my left thigh since all my MS worries started. I honestly think that is just a symptom of anxiety. I, however, have leg coldness and muscle tightness in my quads which I'm so afraid is another symptom of MS, which, of course, could also just be caused by my severe anxiety over the matter. My doctor isn't concerned either. I'm surprised she hasn't referred me to a psychiatrist yet lol. Bottom line, if you can attribute the muscle tension to the anxiety over the twitches, can't you just as easily attribute the twitches to anxiety from the tremors? That's just my $.02.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
Many of us with anxiety do fear MS. I personally am facing a bout of MS fear right now! From what I've gathered after speaking to someone with MS, and talking with a Neuro online, the symptoms do not come and go. The twitching is isolated in one limb initially in most cases. I also heard twitching was not typically the first sign. Many experience the weakness first. You said you don't have fatigue, someone with MS would. Heavy fatigue, according to who I've asked.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Karloff29

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
My muscle twitches are usually small and even tickle at times. Once in a while my arm or thigh will decide to dance and the twitch will last for 4-5 fluctuations.

I've been trying to research about how muscle twitching works with MS. I've read some places that twitching is an early sign, but I've also heard that information is inconclusive and not entirely supported.

AP151, you heard that MS muscle twitching is localized? Would the fatigue be general tiredness or something more drastic?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Karloff29

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »
Bottom line, if you can attribute the muscle tension to the anxiety over the twitches, can't you just as easily attribute the twitches to anxiety from the tremors? That's just my $.02.

Beautifully said! Thank you!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:24 PM »
I've read that most muscle twitches are benign and nothing to worry about...I too have experienced a few muscle twitches in my left thigh since all my MS worries started. I honestly think that is just a symptom of anxiety. I, however, have leg coldness and muscle tightness in my quads which I'm so afraid is another symptom of MS, which, of course, could also just be caused by my severe anxiety over the matter. My doctor isn't concerned either. I'm surprised she hasn't referred me to a psychiatrist yet lol. Bottom line, if you can attribute the muscle tension to the anxiety over the twitches, can't you just as easily attribute the twitches to anxiety from the tremors? That's just my $.02.

I've also had muscle tightness in my left leg since my MS fears started. Some twitches in both quads, cold feet especially on the left side. Some tingling. My left leg just had a ton of twitches while I was laying down and crossed my legs. My doc assured me today it was nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
My muscle twitches are usually small and even tickle at times. Once in a while my arm or thigh will decide to dance and the twitch will last for 4-5 fluctuations.

I've been trying to research about how muscle twitching works with MS. I've read some places that twitching is an early sign, but I've also heard that information is inconclusive and not entirely supported.

AP151, you heard that MS muscle twitching is localized? Would the fatigue be general tiredness or something more drastic?

From what I've heard (from multiple people, 2 of which have MS) the kind of fatigue associated with MS is severe. To the point where after walking more than 150 feet they're looking for a chair because they're exhausted. Though I didn't ask what stage this level of fatigue began. But using what knowledge I've gathered, I think that with a disease like this, if you have the fatigue it's going to be severe. And if the nerve that controls your left leg let's say is damaged, you have weakness also. Real weakness. Could be wrong, but from my understanding of how the disease works, that's what I think. My doc checked my eyes with the old follow my finger test and then did some strength tests and said there was nothing to worry about. He even said we could've stopped after the eye test, because apparently the optic nerve is sensitive and vulnerable, and is usually the first nerve to be affected in MS patients. I was surprised to here him say this because it's such a complex disease, I thought he'd want more tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patagonia816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
I feel your pain. I am struggling with an MS fear at present. I don't have twitching, but an itch that comes and goes...and a perceived weakness in my left leg. Sometimes I feel a little off kilter, too...like my equilibrium is a touch off. I foolishly went on a Googling spree and sent myself into a downward spiral. One of the most common and prominent symptoms of MS is fatigue...not a 'Oh gosh, I could use a nap' type of fatigue, but a 'Did I even sleep last night?' fatigue. I don't think you have MS...and it would be wonderful if I could tell myself the same! Lol.
Bookmark and Share
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Offline eizeral

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »

I've also had muscle tightness in my left leg since my MS fears started. Some twitches in both quads, cold feet especially on the left side. Some tingling. My left leg just had a ton of twitches while I was laying down and crossed my legs. My doc assured me today it was nothing.
My doctor called me back today and told me the same thing haha. And after reading about all the twitching on here, I started to get anxious about getting them more often and voila, they did. -_- Anxiety is a terrible, ugly creature.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
The power of the mind over the body is incredible! Like you said about getting the twitches more often... As soon as I googled why I had a twitch in my arm and found the other symptoms, BAM I had those also. Within minutes and hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eizeral

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »
The power of the mind over the body is incredible! Like you said about getting the twitches more often... As soon as I googled why I had a twitch in my arm and found the other symptoms, BAM I had those also. Within minutes and hours.
It's unreal. Because of that fact alone, that just proves it is not MS and is anxiety. My doctor told me during a flare up, which is when you have symptoms, the new symptoms and symptoms in general appear at the same time...not another one several weeks after the onset of the first symptom. They also don't come and go, and don't really jump around in location, because the lesion is stagnant on one location.

Even though we know all of this though, it is hard to not worry and awfulize. I think I am going to see a therapist because I really just cannot handle myself right now and everyone I talk to about this is getting so frustrated with me that they are fervently urging me to do the same. >_< I think I'm going to start exercising again, reading again, taking walks (hopefully the weather will permit)...just doing anything to take my mind off of all of this.

Also, last thing I'll say, but does anyone else seem to notice that "old" symptoms seem to "improve" when you start to focus on a new one?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:18:30 AM »
The "old" symptoms go away when I find a new disease to stress about, no doubt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Karloff29

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Also, last thing I'll say, but does anyone else seem to notice that "old" symptoms seem to "improve" when you start to focus on a new one?

Totally! One day I my legs were totally buzzing, but now that I am concerned about pressure and pain, the buzzing sensation is gone and I'm left with pressure and pain! If only we could use these powers for good and eliminate our worries altogether...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Karloff29

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »
It's unreal. Because of that fact alone, that just proves it is not MS and is anxiety. My doctor told me during a flare up, which is when you have symptoms, the new symptoms and symptoms in general appear at the same time...not another one several weeks after the onset of the first symptom. They also don't come and go, and don't really jump around in location, because the lesion is stagnant on one location.

So, basically - if our muscle twitches are jumping around on our bodies (i.e., my thigh, my calves, my feet, etc.), then that is not indicative of Multiple Sclerosis? Essentially, the lesion would focus on one (or eventually) more areas consistently?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 01:10:17 PM »
Correct. I specifically asked this question to the person with MS I spoke to, she said it would be focused on one area for awhile. Then comes back months later along with new symptoms, this is known as an "MS attack or flare up"
Bookmark and Share

Tags: