Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New to the site and health anxiety!!  (Read 157 times)

Offline Muffin852003

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to the site and health anxiety!!
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm a 29 year old stay at home mom all seemed fine until about 8 months ago I pulled I pec muscle on my left side causing pain which ended in a full blown panic attack thinking I was having a heart attack and a midnight run to the ER. That was when I was diagnosed with anxiety. Now it seems every pain or spasm I feel in my body is life threatening. I have a sore throat that equals throat cancer a headache equals an brain tumor or worse.  I'm not on medicine because I couldn't stand to feel out of it all the time so now I live day to day in the fear of dying. Mostly I'm looking for people to talk to about my issues and the reassurance we all need that we aren't alone or dying.

Thanks for reading and I'm in hopes to talk to some of you soon!!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to the site and health anxiety!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

First of all, if you are googling your symptoms you need to stop that now! If you type stomach pain on google, stomach cancer comes up. If you type headache, brain tumor is the result.
I'm reading a very helpful self-help book right now that talks about different "noises" in a human body and how these are perfectly normal in a healthy adult. Minor ailments are far far more common than serious ones, try to keep that in mind when your mind goes on overload.

If you would like, I can get you the information on the book I'm reading. I've only just begun it and it has already been extremely helpful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Muffin852003

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:07:07 PM »
Google has become my worst nightmare no matter what I actually have wrong with me every disease I read I have several symptoms. The book your reading may be helpful if you wouldn't mind sharing what it is!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billiam

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »
Hey! Welcome! I go through the same thing and what's been helping me is facts! What are the chances of you having a brain tumor? What are the chances of throat cancer? More than likely slim. Even though there is a chance it's slim. I had it with brain aneurisms! Every headache is one! Then I look at the facts. And a headache usually isn't the sign by itself. Now it's easy for me to tell you this but I couldn't tell myself this lol! It's funny how our minds work! Hope all is well and again welcome
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
Dr Google is the worst thing. DO not Google.
I do not use medications either.
There are natural supplements and natural things that you can do such as acupuncture and walking and other types of exercise.
You can also take supplements and vitamins.
Also watch the type of food that you eat and when you have caffeine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vengence

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
Welcome to the forums. you shouldn't google your symptoms, it can turn something as simple as palpitations into heart disease. Here's something thats helped me, when i googled ( you really shouldn't) before anything,right down on a piece of paper the symptoms you currently have when your panicked or worried ( and dont try and think of other symptoms you might have) then right down what the symptoms of the health problem you think you have are, if you don't have 90% or more of those symptoms then you don't have it. for example if your worried about brain tumor and you only have nausea, headaches and forgetfulness chances are high you dont have what you think you have, but i know from experience when googling your symptoms and you see, lets say, kidney disease and a symptom is weakness your suddenly like " i have kinda been feeling weak". i also know what you mean about the simply things making you worry, i feel sick and i automatically think i'm dying or i think i have swelling when i don't and i think kidney disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Karloff29

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
As someone who is going through anxiety concerning Multiple Sclerosis, I can wholeheartedly support NOT enlisting the assistance of good ol' Dr. Google. Those of us that frequent this forum tend to look at a list of 20 possible explanations for what could be causing our symptoms and focus on the absolute worst. Our brains are hardwired to interpret this information as a factual diagnosis and we make up our minds before the truth can even present itself. What I am trying to do is ask myself, "What made me notice these symptoms? When did I start to worry about them? Before or AFTER I read what they could be...?"
Bookmark and Share

Tags: