Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can over thinking cause real pain?  (Read 314 times)

Offline Sarahnic9

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can over thinking cause real pain?
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
My problem is if I focus on something long enough, it starts to become real.  Like if I see a random bruise on my arm it will begin to hurt even if it didn't before I saw it.  Or if my stomach feels "off" for a bit, it starts to actually hurt once I focus and freak out enough.  (I'm also guilty of obsessively Google-ing which does not help at all..)  Does anyone else have anything similar to this?
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can over thinking cause real pain?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »
Yeah, once I notice something, I start worrying about it, and it feels worse.  I'm not sure if it really does feel worse because of my obsessing, or if I'm just noticing things I wouldn't otherwise notice, but I'm familiar with that phenomenon.  Not fun.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
Absolutely. When you start worrying and focusing on something you start to notice every little thing going on. You'll notice that if your foot hurts for example, but you notice a bruise on your arm and start worrying about that, your foot will usually stop hurting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:37:22 AM »
YES!  I had a pain in my stomach for 13 months, worried and focused on it daily.  FINALLY I went to a GI doctor, had an endoscopy and when he told me nothing was wrong it went away THAT DAY never to return again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yk111

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:13:39 AM »
I have had multiple experiences where, in transitioning from worrying about one pain to worrying about another pain, the first pain disappeared entirely.  The mind can without a doubt create pain or, at the very least, the very real perception of pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
I have had multiple experiences where, in transitioning from worrying about one pain to worrying about another pain, the first pain disappeared entirely.  The mind can without a doubt create pain or, at the very least, the very real perception of pain.

Oh me too!!  Or I'll let's say forget what leg was feeling funny and I'll be concentrating on the RIGHT leg by mistake, start creating the symptoms in THAT leg and then realize, "WAIT it was my LEFT leg!"  Left leg at that time will be totally fine until I realize my mistake!  Left leg starts getting the symptoms again, right leg stops.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
Yes it can.  I, too, had pain in my abdomen for months.  I had an u/s done with normal results and instantly the pain was gone. 

I also know that if something is bothering me and I'm worried about it, I'll focus on it.  However, if something else starts to hurt, I'll find that I'll focus on that and the original pain will disappear. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: