Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lump in underarm = panic  (Read 548 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lump in underarm = panic
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
I've been trying to deal with my health anxiety on my own as much as possible, but I'm having a ton of unrelated anxiety as it is, and now I'm over the edge.

I've had some mild underarm soreness for a few weeks now, and checked occasionally to see if I had any lumps, swelling, ingrown hairs, etc, and found nothing, so I figured it was muscular (I lean on my left arm when I type, not a great habit).  Today I found one, high up and deep in there, hidden away where I never checked before (I've gotten lumps in this exact spot before, actually, and they hide so darn well for all I know this is the same one that's been slowly growing all this time.  I know it's unlikely, but I'm scared anyway).  It doesn't hurt when I touch it, but I guess it being there is enough to cause some mild soreness.  I can't tell what shape it is, etc.   

Lymphoma is one of my biggest fears because it's so hard to diagnose, and I've been having some pain in the collarbone areas as well, though I don't feel any lumps (but I haven't checked too thoroughly, because I know well enough how aggressive checking can cause swelling that wasn't there before.) 

So I'm back into full on freakout mode with no memory of how to get out of it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lump in underarm = panic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:03:47 AM »
Odds are it is something benign, such as a Lipoma, but I would get it checked out anyway, to at least help ease your fears.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
If I don't feel better tomorrow I'll make an appointment.  I have a mild sore throat and my neck feels swollen.  Both underarms are sore, but only one has a lump (doesn't hurt when touched though).  I know I probably picked up a virus or something, but I can't stop worrying that it's cancer. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
Under arm lumps are actually very common. I've had giant ones and they so get extremely sore, sometimes for weeks on end. Doctor has never found a problem with them.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
I think I'm definitely getting sick - I feel generally icky.  Had theatre tickets tonight and tomorrow...gonna try to rally and go tomorrow but not going anywhere tonight.  My throat/neck feels swollen (can't tell if it really is), sore throat, drippy nose, very sore underarms.  Blah.  I know I shouldn't worry, but I always do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
And I'm googling again.  Sigh.  I know this is a terrible idea.  Why do I do it?

Naturally everything says lymphoma, but I don't feel swellings in most spots, just the one lump.  Just a ton of soreness in the neck, clavicle and underarm areas, and occasionally groin.  So I don't even really think that's it, but I worry anyway. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »
Most likely a swollen sweat gland - I get them all the time.  Put a hot compress on it and see if it doesn't get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »
I got an infection in a cut in my hand one time, woke up with my arm aching REALLY bad and a HUGE lump under my arm.   So if you had anything bad, you'd KNOW it (and a hand infection isn't even bad, nothing a few antibiotics didn't clear up - I guess I should say if you had something really wrong, you'd know it!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:59:20 AM »
Thanks.  I feel really weird, besides both my underarms aching, my groin aches a bit too, along where the nodes would be, and my collarbones.  The pain is symmetrical and it seems unlikely that I'd have cancer everywhere all at once, but I do wonder if I have some kind of infection going on.  My sore throat is better but still there, and I'm still congested.  I'm also super-tired and having trouble breathing, but not, like...in an alarming way?  My chest just feels really heavy, like I have to really heave to take a breathe.  Tight muscles maybe?  I'm pretty tense these days.  Guess I'll wait and see if it gets better on its own before I see a doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »
There is a significant lymphatic system under both arms but especially the left arm.  The left axilla deal with most of the bodies lymphatic fluid.  So an underarm lymph node being a bit large is rarely concerning.  Some are so deep, you may have just never noticed it before.  I have a large one on both sides...left greater than right.  It can get sore as well...mostly if I play with it :)  So, get checked out by your doc, get some blood work to check out your counts but don't stress over it.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.  It seems to have improved on its own - I was pretty sick for a while, with a sneaky sickness that kept faking me out, seemed like it was gone, and kept coming back.  Unfortunately, I gave it to my mom during one of the periods I thought I was better :/  I still don't feel great - heavy chest, cough, more fatigued than usual, underarms still sore though I don't feel the lump as readily - but it's an improvement. 

I'm pretty sure someone coughed on me on the crosstown bus a few weeks ago...I blame them...  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
Body glands will swell to fight off whatever virus you had.   Good to hear it is improving.  Yay!
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.   
John 8:32

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
Turns out it's not - it's still there, possibly bigger, maybe just the same size; not sure how I missed it before.  Maybe I just wasn't checking thoroughly because the underarm soreness went away for a bit - it's back.  Both sides, same place, but not where the lump actually is.  It does feel more or less like the nodes on my neck that swelled up after I developed scalp eczema, so I guess it's probably benign, but I'm still concerned - even if it's not cancerous, it's been there for a month or more, which seems to imply that whatever the cause is, it's not getting better.  One of those times where I'm really not sure what's the smart thing to do healthwise vs. am I being overly anxious. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
May have been mono.  The course of your illness sounds as such.  Once lymph nodes swell, they can take awhile to go back down...may never go back down sometimes if scar tissue sets up.  With that said, to be on the safe side you need some basic blood work to check your white count and such.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 04:22:14 AM »
I don't think it was mono, because my 71 year old mother caught it from me, and I feel like she's surely had it by now.  It's possible, though, because I have no CLUE what it was.

It was so odd.  Really never been sick like that before.  Not that it was the worst sickness ever, but I felt terrible one day, basically fine for a few days, then BAM, super-sick for a week.  It tricked me into thinking I was well!  I really hope I didn't infect anyone - I was at the theatre three times that week.  Giving it to my mom was bad enough.  She got it a lot worse than I did. 

What concerns me is that it definitely is bigger than it was before, but only slightly.  Hence the usual lymphoma fears.  Also, I still have a cough that's aggravated by things like climbing stairs, and it's been weeks.   

Also, something else weird about this bug - despite the nasal and chest congestion, my mucus stayed clear the whole time, no yellow or green that usually signals the body's response to an infection.  Literally never had that before.  It's not disturbing me so much as it is bewildering me.  This whole illness has just been so strange!

I really am worried about lymphoma though, just like I used to.  So frustrated, because I thought I was improving with my HA.  And yet even as I type this, my brain is going "well, it's different this time; it's not HA, you clearly do have cancer now!"  Warring brain factions, and I don't know which to listen to.

I'll be calling the doctor to make an appointment on Monday.  I am, at least, getting  better at listening to what doctors tell me.  I hope I don't lose that, too.

Thanks for replying, BTW, and I'll ask my doctor about mono when I see him.  I'm curious to know WHAT this was and if he's had other people with it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: