Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heart Problems or Anxiety?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Vengence

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Heart Problems or Anxiety?
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »
hey guys, i'm 19 and i've been experiencing anxiety for months now, it first started with heart worries then turned into kidney worries, brain tumor worries then i calmed down for about a week/two or so i thought...recently ( two days ago ) my heart "problems" came back this time its the feeling of my heart wanting to give out when i stand and tbh it only seems to happen when i pay attention to my heart before getting up and recently, short stabbing pains around heart, tightness around heart, rapid heartbeat and heavy breathing when doing heavy lifting or if i start thinking about how i breathe, an example of it: today i was lifting three concrete plant pots weighing about 15-20 pounds each and had to carry them about 40 feet one by one, now i'm a fairly slim guy, after i was done my heart was racing and my breathing was very heavy, felt like i just ran a marathon which got me really worried. sometimes when laying down my heart feels like its racing but when i check it, its beating at the same rate it always does (88bpm). i've been to a cardiologist about 2 1/2 months ago and nothing wrong could be found, he even requested a full panel blood test which came back normal except that i had anemia.i've been taking iron supplements since then but I've only been eating a big meal about once a day for the past two weeks and then only snacking on small things like fruits or granola bars because with anxiety i just lose my appetite. it has started to make me feel really tired all the time even when doing nothing. The tired feeling starts roughly 5 hours after waking up, I'm assuming lack of eating, anxiety and anemia all together could be more than possible to cause this and could even cause the "heart problems"but today I've tried changing that and i've had 3 big meals along with snacks today, dont feel as tired today but still do. i'm trying to tell myself its just the anxiety causing this but my body just doesn't want to listen. its gotten to the point that i hate standing up because the rapid heartbeat feelings and fluttering comes on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart Problems or Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
If your test results were fine then you're fine. At 19 you're way too young to be having any kind of heart issues unless you have a heart condition which you would know about by now. Anxiety can cause all those symptoms and the more you worry about it the more symptoms you are going to believe you have. The fact that you said "tbh it only seems to happen when I pay attention to my heart / I start thinking about how I breathe" means its all in your head. You stand up a little too fast or whatever, your heart starts working a little harder and you start worrying about why its beating faster and panic causing it to beat even faster. Its possible to worry so much that you actually give yourself all the symptoms of a heart attack. Every time you lift something heavy your heart will beat faster because your exerting yourself. If every time you have to lift something heavy you start worrying about your heart, you are pretty much setting yourself up for all the symptoms. Your cardiologist said you were fine, now you know its just anxiety. When it happens just try to focus on something else and it will go away or do some deep breathing to calm yourself down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:21:01 AM »
I'm going to give you advice I wish someone gave me when I was 19 and I hope you take it.

You've been to the doc and told you are OK.  Trust that and stop thinking about your health and second guessing your doctors otherwise you're going to piss away a lot of otherwise good years thinking you're dying when you're not.

If you're truly concerned about your heart, you will spend your time eating right and exercising
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:59:55 AM »
My doctor once told me that in some instances symptoms persist, even when their is no organic cause ever
found. He then said we have to learn to live with the various sensations experienced.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Vengence

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
thanks for the replies guys, i know the doc said nothing was wrong but sometimes in the back of your head you think they've overlooked something, but i know its not true, its also really hard to try and convince yourself its just anxiety when the symptoms feel so real but i've been trying to, hopefully i can stop worrying about it and eventually the "problems" will go away
Bookmark and Share

Tags: