Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Had it with prozac  (Read 189 times)

Offline Rycam

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Had it with prozac
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
I've been on prozac now for nearly 4 months and I have noticed no change for the better. The only thing I've noticed is side effects that still linger that I would be willing to deal with if I felt the prozac was working. I feel it is hopeless and I'm just tired of it. Was really hoping for some relief. Don't know what to do now.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Had it with prozac
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
I've been on prozac now for nearly 4 months and I have noticed no change for the better. The only thing I've noticed is side effects that still linger that I would be willing to deal with if I felt the prozac was working. I feel it is hopeless and I'm just tired of it. Was really hoping for some relief. Don't know what to do now.

What dose are you taking?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Rycam

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:38:18 AM »
I started at 10 mg for a week then went to 20mg for for about 2 months then went to 40mg for 5 or 6. Weeks and the sides were to much and I wasn't getting any benefit so I dropped back down to 20mg for the last couple weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
I started at 10 mg for a week then went to 20mg for for about 2 months then went to 40mg for 5 or 6. Weeks and the sides were to much and I wasn't getting any benefit so I dropped back down to 20mg for the last couple weeks.

You've been on it long enough at high enough doses to get it working if it was going too. If this is your first SSRI then your best option is to switch to another such as Celexa (citalopram) as there is still a good chance that a SSRI will work. Switching between SSRIs is easier than changing to a different antidepressant class. However, if you've tried 2-3 without success then either a SNRI (except Effexor (venlafaxine)) or a tricyclic antidepressant such as imipramine (Tofranil) or amitriptyline ((Elavil, Endep) is likely to be the better option.

Unfortunately, while no antidepressant is necessarily better than any other, often one or two will be for an individual and on average it takes 2-3 med changes to find the best fit.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Rycam

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »
Thanks insights!  I'm pretty new to the meds and have been getting a little frustrated. I just want to find something to make me feel normal. I will go back to the doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: