Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I shouldn't obsess, but what should a person do if the symptoms don't abate?  (Read 313 times)

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I understand that googling, running to doctors, and general obsessing aren't the answer to dealing with physical symptoms and health anxiety, but what should I (or anyone for that matter) do if  symptoms have lasted for 3 years solid, and on and off for 9 years?  I've had so many tests it is unbelievable and my doctor thinks I am extremely healthy.  The truth is, at the risk of sounding paranoid, there are a lot of illnesses out there that are difficult to diagnose, and I sure as hell hope I don't have one of them.

I really don't know what I should do next....

Any suggestions.  This is so depressing and uncomfortable and...... :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
If it's something on and off for 9 years it's nothing.  If something is there constantly, never getting any worse then it's nothing. Realizing it's nothing should calm your fears.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I used to have the sensations in just my shins and now it kind of migrates all over my legs, so I guess I feel that it might have gotten worse.  Then I get freaked out and the vicious circle starts again.  My doctor can't find a thing wrong with me, and I'm sure he wants to hide when I come into his office.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 92
    • Poke This Member
Greend, how old are you? 'Cause as we age, sometime we just start to have aches and pains that don't go away as easily. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong, necessarily. Are you active? Is there an injury that you keep exacerbating unknowingly? I get a recurring pain in my right rib cage that can get aggravated from time to time. Last week it was 'cause I picked up a fairly heavy toddler while babysitting. That motion, while not strenuous, has jacked up my whole right side—again. Doesn't mean there's anything "wrong," it just happens.

You're right that googling and running to the doctors isn't the solution to reducing anxiety, but it's learning how to remain calm and NOT attach sinister meaning to bodily symptoms and sensations that's key to true anxiety recovery—that's why SOME kind of treatment, even for a short time, is so crucial, 'cause sometimes we need help learning how to do that. Retraining the brain—that's the most important aspect in all of this.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
You're right that googling and running to the doctors isn't the solution to reducing anxiety, but it's learning how to remain calm and NOT attach sinister meaning to bodily symptoms and sensations that's key to true anxiety recovery—that's why SOME kind of treatment, even for a short time, is so crucial, 'cause sometimes we need help learning how to do that. Retraining the brain—that's the most important aspect in all of this.

Cosigned!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks everyone for your replies.  Maybe I should see a counsellor, at least for a while.  My legs drive me absolutely nuts, and maybe I have to learn to deal with this.  I guess if my symptoms were mild, vague, and came and went I wouldn't be so upset.  Mine are intense and haven't budged for a very long time. I know, Acceptance, Acceptance.....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
greend can I ask what kind of sensations you are talking about?  I am getting weird things too and blaming it on menopause.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I get a prickly sensation in the skin of my legs. I also get a surging feeling through my chest; it feels like  an adrenaline rush. I hate having anything touch my legs. The first time I experienced this was during a very bad flu nine years ago. I have had this three times and when it goes away it totally goes away. This bout seems worse. I just want to feel normal again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
Is there any way the feeling in your legs could be described as a wave of "chills" without the "cold"?  (if that makes sense!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yes, that kind of makes sense. I get that wave, starting in my chest and then it goes through the skin of my legs.  Horrible.  I get it on and off all day.  Sometimes I just have a prickly sensation in the skin of my legs without the wave. My doctor just doesn't know what to do with me at this point.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: